Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Guest alyssa
scotland and ireland are not england. The scottish dont even like the english!

Erm, ok, and what has that got to do with whether we can smoke or not in clubs?

Most of the people who go

to nightclubs smoke and those that dont realise what it will do

to this industry.

I don't believe this is true. Can you show me even one scrap of evidence to support this claim?

Also, I have several friends who smoke, and they say the ban is the best thing that could have happened, because the fewer places they can smoke, the more likely they are to quit, which is a good thing.

if any of you lot go to night clubs, you will realise that you cannot just go outside for a cig. So you are all saying smoking is bad but drinking to get liver damage is good then is it?

No, but we all chose how much we drink and have some control over it. If someone else next to me drinks 14 pints, but I only drink 3, then fine, they will be damaging their own liver, not mine. If they smoke all night, then I have to suffer the consequences if I want to drink in a pub, which I have just as much right to do as a smoker. I am sorry to hear about your brother though.

I think they should have smoking and non smoking pubs/clubs so people have the choice.

I disagree, I can't wait for the ban, and would rather see it imposed everywhere, but I am realistic and know that people will still want to smoke. I think having a room or area in a club is a bad idea, but if people want to open private members clubs for smokers then fine, but I will not be going.

I have never been in a non smoking restaurant and i stopped going to pizza hut 2 years ago because it stopped smoking in the building.

Well, I'm the opposite, I choose to go to restaurants where there is no smoking, so perhaps it balances itself out?

My mum is getting worse with her health because the gradual alienation of smokers has given her nowhere else to go. She just stays in now, gets no exercise and it is not safe to walk anywhere after dark so what rights are we going to have in 2 years time..

Then perhaps she should think about quiting smoking? then she will not be alienated, be able to get as much exercise as she likes and probably be much healthier.

everyone should grow up and not just think about themselves because they dont smoke.

Oh, sorry, it's me as a non-smoker being inconsiderate is it?

I enjoy a fag and a drink and am prepared to smoke away from you lot who dont smoke, but your ignorance is not letting you support my wishes on behalf of smokers.

Until you are a non-smoker (and by the sounds of things you never will be), you will not realise how much you smell. Smoking away from non-smokers is not good enough. I will change seats on a bus if someone who is clearly a heavy smoker sits next to me, that's how offensive I find it. And I used to smoke, so I do know what it's like.

I'm sorry, but I have read your argument, and find the whole thing fundamentally flawed, and with no statistics to back it up. You have ignored counter-arguments put forward about the increase in trade of pubs who have banned smoking.

I will be joining the many others who are NOT signing your petition I'm afraid.

as a non smoker i thank the brave and patriotic smokers of this country. they provide billions in tax that would otherwise have to be collected elsewhere.

The amount the NHS pays out because of these smokers is unbelievable, and definately dwarves what we receive in tax from cigarattes.

The main problem is that if we banned cigarettes altogether it would take about 40 year to get ourselves on an even keel with the people who have been smoking all their life.

The amount the NHS pays out because of these smokers is unbelievable, and definately dwarves what we receive in tax from cigarattes.

The main problem is that if we banned cigarettes altogether it would take about 40 year to get ourselves on an even keel with the people who have been smoking all their life.

I'd love that to be true, but unfortunately it's not.

Smoking contributes more in tax than it costs. But it's still a worthy aim to reduce smoking in the country and make us a healthier nation.

I cannot wait for the ban, smoking is one of the main reasons I don't go to clubs and bars any more, unless they have a smoke-free policy, and this is the same with many of my friends. I admit to smoking when younger, and may not have started properly if it hadn't been for frequenting smoky bars. I don't think any jobs will be lost, just that more non-smokers (i.e. the vast majority of people) will come out to bars and clubs.

I'd love that to be true, but unfortunately it's not.

Smoking contributes more in tax than it costs. But it's still a worthy aim to reduce smoking in the country and make us a healthier nation.

I looked at the statistics for this the other day and it was something like £8bn taken in tobacco tax, while the NHS cost for treating direct

SMOKING RELATED ILLNESS in Just England was £1.5bn.

The trouble with this statistic is many of the smokers who I have known, don't even admit to smoking on insurance forms, they are not going to admit it to doctors, if they can help it. There must be many more lost working days and costs to the country that don't show up. I know personally of 2 families not related to me, and 1 family related where a heavy smoking man of working age has suddenly died in his 40s and left his family unsupported. How many times does that happen every year in the UK ?

Even if I was a smoker (finally beating the addiction) I wouldn't sign the petition.. You claim that everyone is being childish and inconsiderate for voicing their concern yet it's us ex smokers and smokers that were the inconsiderate ones!

69 cancer causing chemicals in one cigarette! Kill yourself with the habit, not others!

I used to be a non smoker. I smoke because it calms me down from the stresses of today. When the government make us quit smoking, they will put more tax on other things with the money they expect us to save. My mum has quit smoking before but she returned back to it due to life stress, eg my brother dying etc. I have to smoke outside well away from my day job and i dont enjoy a fag as much. When the NHS works out how much damage is done due to increasing the alchohol availability, they will stop you doing that as well. If all of the people who are saying that smokers should stop just because you lot dont like it, but yet as a previous poster said, there are many other things that are poisonous to us that we dont have a choice in being around, eg vehicle emmissions. If you left a car running in a garage, the fumes would kill you. If you put 10 smokers in there for the same length of time, the damage would be a few smelly clothes. If we should not have a smoking room due to the fact that the non smokers would have to come in to see their friends, does that not say anything to the social implications. I dont smoke that much when i go out, on NYE i had less than 10 in 8 hours. However, i still like my 1 fag every 1-2 hours just to calm me down.

The Government are not making you quit smoking, they are restricting the places you can smoke giving people an incentive to quit. If the Government wanted everyone to quit straight away they wouldn't sell them. Simple!

Archived