Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

As a smoker i cant wait till they ban the sales of ciggies as im just too much of a pussy to stop on my own.

Yes the councils will use it as a cash cow and milk it more times than Daisy but if it stops me smoking then im all for it.

If only, they will continue to increase tax on and allow the sale of tobacco indefinetely. They know its more addictive than heroin and exploit this fact.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6416537,00.html

So now the government are going to fine people for smoking a substance they have paid substantial amounts of tax on.

I bet there will still be machines in pubs serving expensive fags though.

Surely the £30million would be spent on officers to walk the beat or builders to build a prison to persecute (rehabilitate/reward) real criminals.

Every other day we hear of released murderer's and paedophiles reoffending and they are going to spend money on such a petty thing in order to generate more. The best thing about it is the amount of "smoking related illness's" will continue to increase until fossil fuels run out

I for one hope these undercover officers get glassed.

Firstly, £30m wouldn't buy a single prison.

Secondly, what the hell was all that about paedos and fossil fuels?!? :huh:

Thirdly, glassing people isn't big and it isn't clever... bloody idiot. :nono:

I wondered how long it would be until the real reason for banning smoking came to the front, not for health purposes, but so they can issue "on the spot fines". As usual any way the government can get some more money from people they will just pass a law. I don't smoke and never had, but I don't feel I have the right to judge other people if they want to, and as smokers already contribute heaftily to the coffers of the Chancellor, surely that is enough.

I wondered how long it would be until the real reason for banning smoking came to the front, not for health purposes, but so they can issue "on the spot fines". As usual any way the government can get some more money from people they will just pass a law. I don't smoke and never had, but I don't feel I have the right to judge other people if they want to, and as smokers already contribute heaftily to the coffers of the Chancellor, surely that is enough.

How esle would you enforce the ban?

why should i quit, it helps me cope with the stress that i am subjected to every day. I work very hard, always have done, but yet i can only buy a house if i go out with a man who works. I always said that i would take more pride in my life if i was given a house of my own to pay for out of my own money. Truth is, single people cannot buy properties on their own out of their wages, even if i did 2 jobs. I will choose to smoke and also, dont you think that if people are going in and out of clubs to smoke cigarettes, it leaves chance for people to sneak in drugs and weapons. Smoking revenue pays for a lot of the nhs, yet they are refusing to treat smokers, even tho we are paying for it. What about the obese people that make themselves disabled, then claim benefit. People should look at what it will do excluding smokers from enjoying a cig.

....I am a single person...homeowner - I gave up smoking, saved a FORTUNE and a year later bought my house...so it can be done!

...using stress as an excuse to smoke is just that - an excuse (medically/physically smoking does not reduce stress )

...you don't have to be with a working man to buy a house - plenty of friends buddy up to buy houses

...I admit my reply is nothing to do with the club/smoking thing - but the response didn't have much to do with it either and sounds like whinging to me

....I am a single person...homeowner - I gave up smoking, saved a FORTUNE and a year later bought my house...so it can be done!

...using stress as an excuse to smoke is just that - an excuse (medically/physically smoking does not reduce stress )

...you don't have to be with a working man to buy a house - plenty of friends buddy up to buy houses

...I admit my reply is nothing to do with the club/smoking thing - but the response didn't have much to do with it either and sounds like whinging to me

Spot on Freddy mate. Sorry Ang but you choose to smoke and spend a ridiculous amount of money a year on cigarettes. The amount of money you spend in 5 years on cigarettes probably may help towards a deposit of a house of your own. I do not smoke or drink for that matter and i managed to save up money for a deposit on my home. It took me around 3 years to save but well worth it. Stress is a very poor excuse. Stress is when you do not have food and water to survive. There are people in this world much worst off. As for the club thing, I welcome the proposal of the ban in open arms. Atleast my dry cleaning bill will be lower.

Archived