Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Hotels sometimes say they have smoke alarms in the non smoking rooms to stop people smoking in them.
So if someone smokes in non smoking room and alarm goes off, what are the hotel going to do about it, barge into the room and chuck a bucket of water over their paying guest?

I don't think it will be a legal requirement that you can't smoke in a non smoking room, how can that be policed? It will be the same as now.

The fire alarm will go off (or so I was told once)

So if someone smokes in non smoking room and alarm goes off, what are the hotel going to do about it, barge into the room and chuck a bucket of water over their paying guest?

I would imagine they would boot them out of the hotel.

Out of interest, as I applies to me, I 'phoned the Hilton in Sheffield and spoke to their general manager.

I asked him what their policy would be.

" No idea. Not been given any guidance ". So there you go.

All hotel rooms have smoke detectors.

Non-smoking rooms.......... one of my pet hates.

The usual trick is that they put you into a non-smoking room without telling you, or tell you at reception that all they have left is non smoking rooms. They do this in spite of the fact that you have specifically booked a smoking room.

I deliberately avoid booking into that hotel if I discover when booking that they have no smoking rooms left, and now completely boycot the Innkeepers Lodge chain as they are totally non smoking.

If I have taken the time and trouble to ensure that my "filthy, dirty, unhealthy, anti-social, etc, etc.........." habit can be done in my own private space by booking that space specifically then I expect their half of that deal to be honored. If therefore they fail............ sod 'em, I smoke in the room anyway! Let them learn via the extra cost of cleaning and airing the room to return its' odour to the standard that a non smoker now expects to keep their part of the deal!!

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I'll tell you again. Post #14 and my post #38 tell you that hotel rooms will be exempt from the smoking ban. There won't be a problem, things will be the same as now.

Till Man, smoking in a non smoking room doesn't inconvenience the hotel, it may inconveniece the next guest in your room though. I'm ambivalent on this btw but not everyone else is.

I'll tell you again. Post #14 and my post #38 tell you that hotel rooms will be exempt from the smoking ban.

Sorry, I didn't see that bit, so hotels aren't "public spaces" ?

I guess once the ban comes into effect all rooms in all hotels will be non-smoking so that will be an end to the problem ?

No, because the smoking ban covers public places. An hotel room is not a public place. It is a private place occupied by someone who is renting the use of it.

Archived