Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

I'm not a smoker, but I have no real view either way. going to a pub and coming home smelling of smoke doesn't bother me too much - i just wash them!

My missus is a smoker, and doesn't drink - she likes to go to the pub and have a smoke - she'll probably not want to go out much when the ban comes in - which means I don't get to drink as much!

The only thing that bugs me about it is all the smug ex and non smokers who`ll be sitting back and preening themselves about it. It really is pathetic, when you think of the damage cars do to people. Its another erosion of peoples freedoms another little diversion to take peoples minds off of the state of the world, and one day, people are going to see whats happening to them, but it`ll be too late.

I'm afraid of things that are the same as each other too :(

That's a really crap word actually. I demand better! What can the creative minds of sheffield forum come up with?

Oh yes, and without smoking Britain will be way good.

I can't wait! Although if it's been banned in Wales and Scotland for years, how come we English aren't getting teh ban till July?! :loopy:

I despair of this Government I really do, if it was something George W Bush wanted, Bliar would've rushed it through the Courts and it would've happened 2 years ago! :rant:

Even though I'm glad its coming in, I can see it being quite hard to enforce in some places, especially those pubs and clubs with dark corners and huddles etc. A limited number of staff and bouncers can't see all!!

Ive just been out drinking with my EX this afternoon, we went into the Wetherspoons on Cambridge Street, this pub is already a non-smoking ,it was a pleasure to have somthing to eat & drink and to come outside not smelling of fags, I dont mind people smoking, but let them do it in their own place:hihi:

Even though I'm glad its coming in, I can see it being quite hard to enforce in some places, especially those pubs and clubs with dark corners and huddles etc. A limited number of staff and bouncers can't see all!!

The staff won't need to enforce it because indignant other customers will, unlike in France where the ban has apparently been generally ignored.

The staff won't need to enforce it because indignant other customers will, unlike in France where the ban has apparently been generally ignored.

Oh yeah, I can see that happening, the British public are well know for their confrontational manner, no amount of tutting and eye-rolling will enforce the ban, perhaps some coughing and arm-waving might though, but I doubt it.

As for the French, they simply refuse to be told what they can and can't do by the government, unlike us who sit waiting for the next rule to be handed down.

Archived