Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

No but I've been burnt and had ash flicked on me in pubs and clubs before. If you have to drink responsibly, why don't you have to smoke responsibly?

Were these smokers drinking? I think thats where the problem lies.

I enjoy a drink and was taking the p**s however it's amusing to see the reaction of drinkers when they get the same treatment as smokers.

Were these smokers drinking? I think thats where the problem lies.

I enjoy a drink and was taking the p**s however it's amusing to see the reaction of drinkers when they get the same treatment as smokers.

Happens at bus stops in the morning too. And when walking round town.

Maybe drinkers should spit whisky in smokers' faces whenever they blow smoke and flick ash on people?

how come non smokers are so interested in smoking?

Is it?

a. they want to take it up

b. they can't afford to smoke because they are full on alco's

c. smokers are a more interesting bunch than non smokers

d. they have nothing better to do

Happens at bus stops in the morning too. And when walking round town.

Maybe drinkers should spit whisky in smokers' faces whenever they blow smoke and flick ash on people?

Thats nice dear, very responsible. you could just say 'excuse me but you have just burned me with your fag, could you be a bit more carefull?'

I'm sure you'll get a heartfelt apology and the said person will be more careful in future.

Smokers are people too you know.

What I really love is that although the ban is happening (which I am all for) it's not enough for non smokers.

Also I've had more pints slopped on me than fag burns infact I've never had a fag burn on a night out.

I'm using the ban as my quit date as I said at the start of this thread and I know a few others will be doing the same. Quite alot of smokers don't want to smoke anymore and wish they could stop. If more non smokers that don't realise how difficult it is to give up a serious addiction offered positive supportive comments about quitting rather than abuse and dirty looks, more people would be successful. Nothing makes you want a fag more than somebody being aggresive and nasty about it.

Thats nice dear, very responsible. you could just say 'excuse me but you have just burned me with your fag, could you be a bit more carefull?'

I'm sure you'll get a heartfelt apology and the said person will be more careful in future.

Smokers are people too you know.

What I really love is that although the ban is happening (which I am all for) it's not enough for non smokers.

Also I've had more pints slopped on me than fag burns infact I've never had a fag burn on a night out.

I'm using the ban as my quit date as I said at the start of this thread and I know a few others will be doing the same. Quite alot of smokers don't want to smoke anymore and wish they could stop. If more non smokers that don't realise how difficult it is to give up a serious addiction offered positive supportive comments about quitting rather than abuse and dirty looks, more people would be successful. Nothing makes you want a fag more than somebody being aggresive and nasty about it.

the talk of or image of cigarettes creates a craving, ive always wondered how many people light up at the stop smoking adverts like me, and how much tax is generated in the 5 minutes which follow.

banning public use of cigarettes, whilst increasing tax on them, to me seems an exploitation of the addicition,

imagine come budget time *caffine up 20p* year on year.

I think classification of all drugs/substances whatever you wish to call them should have a greater basis on the possibility of OD rather than percentage population use, form of administration etc.

the talk of or image of cigarettes creates a craving, ive always wondered how many people light up at the stop smoking adverts like me, and how much tax is generated in the 5 minutes which follow.

banning public use of cigarettes, whilst increasing tax on them, to me seems an exploitation of the addicition,

imagine come budget time *caffine up 20p* year on year.

I think classification of all drugs/substances whatever you wish to call them should have a greater basis on the possibility of OD rather than percentage population use, form of administration etc.

The first sign of the woman with the oxygen tank on tv and I'm reaching for my fags. I know it would have been another hour if that advert hadn't been shown. I don't watch much tv now but last night the invisible killer ad was responsible for me lighting up 3 times.

It's more about toxic smoke being blown in the face, or ash being flicked on people.

But why are smokers feeling so persecuted? It's no hardship to smoke outside. If someone saying something nasty about smoking makes you want a cig, then you've no chance of quitting. Especially not on the date the ban starts - when everyone will be talking about smoking.

The first sign of the woman with the oxygen tank on tv and I'm reaching for my fags. I know it would have been another hour if that advert hadn't been shown. I don't watch much tv now but last night the invisible killer ad was responsible for me lighting up 3 times.

hehe, i watch about 2-3 hours a week and in them nearly every break has lighting up initiators.

the way our addiction is exploited is unfair, then the way it is attacked is cruel. smoking has a net positive effect to our economy yet its widely accepted to "mock", be rude to and treat differently smokers.

people say "refuse them nhs care etc."

but if we put in more, should we not get a better level of care?

some disabled people are going to contribute nothing to the economy, cane the nhs's resources as well as dwp's cash, yet they are to be treat equally (with special privillages).

Would it not be more fair to use tax generated from cigarettes to install top of the range smoking rooms in all government buildings

I no longer smoke just purely cigarrettes but for me and probaly a lot of other smokers, the more legislation and restrictions are imposed on smokers it actually makes me more rebbelious and i am now thinking of starting again just to annoy the non smoking fascists. Im thinking of getting a 4x4 and rev it up wherever i know of non smokers are to see if this bothers them more or does more damage to their health?

I would aslo like to know how this ban is going to be enforced in certain pubs like Hen and chickens, cannon type pubs?

Archived