Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Mind you I can see the smoker's argument for when one reads (from the same source)

How is cigarette smoking harmful to human body?

Cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) in tobacco smoke damage important genes, mutates DNA that control the growth of cells, causing them to grow abnormally or to reproduce in a haphazard manner.

Nicotine reaches the brain within 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled and causes addiction to tobacco products.

Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells. This prevents the affected RBCs from carrying a full load of oxygen.

The carcinogen benzo[a]pyrene binds to cells in the airways and major organs of smokers.

Smokers have lower levels of antioxidants in their blood which prevents from the damaged cells from repairing themselves.

Smoking affects the function of the immune system and may increase the risk for respiratory and other infections.

Hmmm Carbon Monoxide actually kills Red cells too.

*cough

What are the effects of passive smoking?

Effects of passive smoking depend on the exposure levels and duration of exposures. It can be immediate or late effects.

The chemicals in the cigarette smoke can cause irritation of the eyes, headache, cough, sore throat, and nausea. Studies have shown that in patients with asthma exposure to smoke can reduce the lung function significantly and new cases of asthma can be induced in children who are exposed to cigarette smoke.

A major review by the Government-appointed Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) stated that passive smoking is a cause of lung cancer and ischemic heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a cause of respiratory disease, cot death, middle ear disease and asthmatic attacks in children.

Passive smoking increases the risk of getting frequent lower respiratory tract infections in children. Passive smoking during childhood predisposes children to develop cancer as adults.

Exposure to passive smoking during pregnancy can lead to the birth of low birth weight babies.

*tries not to keep bringing facts in..... :thumbsup:

I voted yes, I am a smoker but I think I will find it a lot easier to give up if there are less people smoking around me. Plus I dont want my kids exposed to second hand smoke when we are out, I dont smoke in the house or anything, I tend to be spotted mooching round the bottom of the garden with my ciggy. I have cut down loads, But I feel when the ban come's into place I will cut them out alltogether.

I voted yes, I am a smoker but I think I will find it a lot easier to give up if there are less people smoking around me. Plus I dont want my kids exposed to second hand smoke when we are out, I dont smoke in the house or anything, I tend to be spotted mooching round the bottom of the garden with my ciggy. I have cut down loads, But I feel when the ban come's into place I will cut them out alltogether.

Go you! There's lots of help there if you want/need it. Best of luck!

Personally I don't care if people want to smoke.......it keeps me in a job anyway BUT what I never have liked is not having the choice when I go into pubs or clubs. If I sit and have a quiet glass of wine it doesn't affect anyone (unless I have 27 and decide to kick someone's head in!) if someone nearby decides to have a quiet fag it does affect me....that's it, it's not rocket science. I know people are aware of how harmful cigarettes are and it's their choice to smoke if they want BUT I don't and this ban is coming into force because the MAJORITY want it.

Archived