Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Same as everything else fails. Drugs are sold in pubs !! after hours drinking !! what happens nothing all these are illeagal have they been stopped NO can you honestly see a landlord throwing someone out for smoking they be more concerned over losing custom.T he other problem i see is will we end up with loads of p*** heads sat outside pubs just so they can smoke like i said it will never happen

Well it's their choice, loose the custom of one person or cop a £2500 fine, because i'll be more than happy to take a photo on my camera phone and report them.

Most landlords do what they can to stop any drug use on the premises, and generally if there is any it's very circumspect otherwise the police would soon be involved. So unless you can somehow smoke a cigarette under your jacket without producing any odour, I doubt you'll get away with it.

How will it never happen? It has happened, the legislation is passed, and the council are hiring wardens to enforce it. You're living in a land called de nial.

I'm prepared to put up with it, I think it's a worthwhile cause even if it reduces tax income a little.

Of course smokers will spend the money elsewhere, so whilst tax revenue will fall, it won't fall by as much as you'd expect.

Well it's their choice, loose the custom of one person or cop a £2500 fine, because i'll be more than happy to take a photo on my camera phone and report them.

Most landlords do what they can to stop any drug use on the premises, and generally if there is any it's very circumspect otherwise the police would soon be involved. So unless you can somehow smoke a cigarette under your jacket without producing any odour, I doubt you'll get away with it.

How will it never happen? It has happened, the legislation is passed, and the council are hiring wardens to enforce it. You're living in a land called de nial.

seems to me you need to look in the real world you must be out in the sticks

I'm with Cyclone on this one - blatant drug dealing would be stopped. I've never come across it, maybe I've led a sheltered existence, or just don't go out enough. Hang on, that's it! I don't go out that often because I don't want to come back stinking. So does this mean that come July, I'll see drug dealing left right and centre because I'll be going to more pubs?

I've been waiting all my adult life for this to happen. I can finally go out, come home and not have to disinfect mi sen before I go to bed. This is the only good thing the Labour party have done ever, apart from trying to ban fox hunting. I dread to think the trouble it will cause when ****** up chavs are asked to put their fags out?

Apparently since the smoking ban in Scotland, 70 percent of nightclubs in Glasgow have closed due to this not happening, people seem to have chosen to stay in late bars that allow people to go outside and smoke.

70% of clubs closed in Glasgow?? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Most people go clubbing simply to dance and enjoy music and to go 'on the pull'..cigarettes are the last thing on their mind I would think..

but a nightclub with a 'smoking solution' would be an interesting development..

all late bars and pubs now have smoking solutions sorted I would think, at least certainly the LATE opening ones have.

What's a 'smoking solution'?

I think it could hammer any nightclub which hasn't got an outside area. Smokers would be much less likely to commit to paying an entry fee if they couldn't smoke for the time they were in the venue.

I'm not sure about Scotland, but apparently it seriously effected the New York nightclub scene when the ban was introduced there.

Archived