Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

I think it'll be interesting to see how a lot of pubs react. I guess that places not on the main roads (I'm thinking of places like the Dove) won't struggle too much as people can just go and stand outside. I would imagine though that come Saturday nights West Street will be crowded with people who have just nipped out for one.

I think that between the increased number of drunk people potentially falling into the road, and the path being blocked for people trying to walk past the police might even have something to say about it.

sorry for repeating what ive posted elswhere on similar. where will the governement get the taxes, that it looses from smokers when they quit? why from the none smokers, hope that makes you happy!

Who says they will quit. They can still smoke as much but in different places.

Yes, I've been wondering about what will happen to clubs when the smoking ban comes into force. I was thinking that maybe clubs would hire more security to enforce the rules, but wouldn't that put drink prices up? And I agree about the enclosed outside areas. Spiders in Hull has a nice outdoor bit where people can go out to cool down, there def should be more clubs in Sheffield doing the same thing.

America seems to have coped! Boston, New York and all of California, i know the weather is better but you will be surprised how many people can cope for longer than 3 hrs without smoking. The ban has been running there at least 3 yrs and i used to go out all the time clubs were still packed, i dont think we will see the end of nightclubs or people going out! Maybe everyone should just quit for 3 months and let the government see what tax revenue they are losing!

A few weeks ago, I toyed with the idea of giving up smoking, drinking and eating jolly unhealthy food and getting myself fit. I had an idea that maybe running in the London Marathon or something similar would turn my body into a temple and whatever else fitness does for you.

But..what a terrible shock ! The London Marathon seems like Hell on Wheels [ or at any rate, Hell on Legs ]. One poor sod kicked the bucket, many others were carted off to the hospital and even those watching were keeling over in droves .Perhaps victims of Passive Running ?

Smoking seems almost benign and safe compared to all this mayhem. Smoking should be encouraged at all levels and then perhaps our longevity would reach Japanese levels. Gotta light anybody ?

A few weeks ago, I toyed with the idea of giving up smoking, drinking and eating jolly unhealthy food and getting myself fit. I had an idea that maybe running in the London Marathon or something similar would turn my body into a temple and whatever else fitness does for you.

But..what a terrible shock ! The London Marathon seems like Hell on Wheels [ or at any rate, Hell on Legs ]. One poor sod kicked the bucket, many others were carted off to the hospital and even those watching were keeling over in droves .Perhaps victims of Passive Running ?

Smoking seems almost benign and safe compared to all this mayhem. Smoking should be encouraged at all levels and then perhaps our longevity would reach Japanese levels. Gotta light anybody ?

Huh?? Was that in response to my post?

Dick Dastardly:- No, it was in response to an account of the London Marathon in the most recent Weekly Telegraph. [ Apr. 25th.---May1st. ].

It spoke of " nightmare conditions " ; a man of 22 years died ; 73 taken to hospital ; 1500 St.John's Ambulance people treated about 5000 spectators.

It set me thinking, however, that, often, people who seem worried about the effects of smoking, often indulge in what seem to be dangerous activities.

As I said, to me, smoking seems less dangerous, on the face of it and far more pleasurable than running 26 miles in the heat. That's why I've changed my mind and will do my best to avoid all strenuous sports in the future. Back to the cafe table, I'm afraid, with a pint, the newspaper and a gauloise !

Archived