Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Oooooh....lazyherbert, have you no shame at all ?

You desert the ranks of your fellow-smokers and then......well.........

more or less......boast about it !

May I remind you, young Herbert, that in the Battle of Woodbine Pass, five of us, with only 10 Park Drives between us, held off an army of 450 non-smokers, Health Officials, Hand-Wavers, Control Freaks and Fresh Air Fiends for over 48 hours by blowing smoke at them . Apart from the Park Drives we had to survive on Food & Water only.

Now, after such unparalleled bravery and sacrifice, we find you young'uns are deserting us in droves.

It brings tears to my eyes when I remember The Many who laid down their pipes in The Cause. For all the good it's done we may just as well have bought some muesli and joined a gym.

May I remind you, young Herbert, that in the Battle of Woodbine Pass, five of us, with only 10 Park Drives between us, held off an army of 450 non-smokers, Health Officials, Hand-Wavers, Control Freaks and Fresh Air Fiends for over 48 hours by blowing smoke at them . Apart from the Park Drives we had to survive on Food & Water only.

Now, after such unparalleled bravery and sacrifice, we find you young'uns are deserting us in droves.

It brings tears to my eyes when I remember The Many who laid down their pipes in The Cause. For all the good it's done we may just as well have bought some muesli and joined a gym.

Yes but my motive was great because i had 2 pence bet that I could do it.

Being of the tight-fisted brigade it was a great incentive.Just think 2 pence.

YAHOOO.:banana: :banana:

I admire your courage. Just smoking Park Drives took a lot of guts. Thank the lord for Marlies.

well the new law is not stopping me im affraid im still gonna smoke where i choose too that means in pubs and clubs and if im asked to leave then ill go else where there loss not mine ill spend my money else where.

im still and will continue to smoke in my work vehicle my boss doesnt say not too so i will continue

im not having a jumped up goverment like we have to say when and where i can smoke

sorry if your a non smoker and im near you but if you dont like it then why dont you move cause i aint.

i dont tell them to stop driving there cars near me when im out and the fumes from that are killing us all.

anyway rant over :D :D for me no change ill go on as i am ;)

I was there, and I saw it all. Even the other wishy-washy liberal health freaks in my squadron were impressed with the sheer strenght of mind that you five managed to maintain in the face of such pressure - there was barely a dry eye amoungst us, and not just because of the smoke. I was so sorry when we had to collect your colleague Woodbine and take him to the field hospital - I'm sure you know by now that he didn't make it. He was feisty to the last puff, though, and went out in style.

It never goes away. I quit two years ago, my wife five years ago, and we both still get cravings. I had to quit cos I'm a survivor of cancer of the larynx. Like you said its nice not to stink of cigs. The other thing is not having to pay for two cartons a week left me with enough money to make the payments on a second car, a new one too. Keep on fighting, its too easy to give in and it only takes one cigarette.

The craving does eventually go away, but it takes a looooonnng time. :hihi: I used to have the odd ciggie now and again, mostly when I was out. I decided to quit in the mid eighties, when the smoking ban took effect here in California. For at least five years after that, I still had cravings (weak ones) and sometimes even dreamed I was smoking!

I would encourage people to quit, and for those who have quit to stick with it. Not smoking is so much better for your health and think of the money you'll save! Those of you who still smoke, you have NO idea how hard it's going to be to light up in public.

I didn't know you were a cancer survivor, buck. Good for you!

:) Sierra

Thank you Babychickens for those kind words. It's a change to hear something positive these days.

Actually, lots of us old smokers did remain loyal till the last puff, so to speak, but our loyalty went unrecognised and definitely unrewarded.

We can only hope and pray that the Snuff Brigade can launch a last minute rescue operation in our Hour of Despair. Sometimes, we almost feel like poor old Adolf , in Berlin, at the 11 th, hour, the Russian Guns about 1 km. away and his Third Reich disappearing.

However, who knows ? Maybe the Glory Days will return ? It would do our old hearts the world of good to see Humphrey Bogart, Marlene Dietricht, Jean Gabin and even little ' Toto ' in ' Cinema Paradiso ' lighting up on the silver screen, and enjoying a last good old puff, for old time's sake .

well the new law is not stopping me im affraid im still gonna smoke where i choose too that means in pubs and clubs and if im asked to leave then ill go else where there loss not mine ill spend my money else where.

im still and will continue to smoke in my work vehicle my boss doesnt say not too so i will continue

im not having a jumped up goverment like we have to say when and where i can smoke

sorry if your a non smoker and im near you but if you dont like it then why dont you move cause i aint.

i dont tell them to stop driving there cars near me when im out and the fumes from that are killing us all.

anyway rant over :D :D for me no change ill go on as i am ;)

Good luck finding anywhere that will let you smoke then mate.

You'll have a struggle after 1st July.

Good luck finding anywhere that will let you smoke then mate.

You'll have a struggle after 1st July.

i know 4 places already that say they aint gonna stop me and thats good enough for me thats where ill spend my money ;)

Archived