Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Get real mikey

Where are you going to get such a pub?

Most people do not smoke.

The majority of people do not want to breath in a smoky

atmosphere.

Put your analogy another way

'twenty people want to smoke in a pub, the landlord smokes, the bar staff smoke', but say your child trying to earn money to support self through uni is offered a job there...

This legislation is not childish like some of its opponents, it is thinking ahead to allow people to be free from illnesses and diseases caused by cigarettes and smoking.

The laws passed to bring this bill in were not all down to Tony neither, they

were developed from all parties and free votes.

In other words it was democracy in action. We should be proud of our democracy, hopefully many people who smoke now, and their children, will eventually be glad this action was taken.

well i wouldnt agree with any of that. the child doesnt have to work there, its a choice, like going down the pit, climbing scaffolding, driving a lorry, all dangerous jobs. you shouldnt be able to stop consenting adults from smoking if in a business most of the customers want to. just dont go in.

so answer me this a pub with twenty customers, they all smoke, the landlord smokes, the bar maid smokes, you walk in and start coughing and complaining, should they all stub their fags out or should you go somewhere else?

i know 4 places already that say they aint gonna stop me and thats good enough for me thats where ill spend my money ;)

Do you really think that a landlord will pay £2000 fine to keep your custom?

When the law comes in landlords will only be cautioned at first, but on the third strike they will be hit with a big fine for each offence.

OK you might get away with a few puffs, like the kids behind the bike sheds, you may even give a false name if cautioned but the landlord cannot do this.

When the law comes in landlords will only be cautioned at first, but on the third strike they will be hit with a big fine for each offence.

OK you might get away with a few puffs, like the kids behind the bike sheds, you may even give a false name if cautioned but the landlord cannot do this.

its fascist way of thinking. impossing your ideologies on others. self righteous or what?

well i wouldnt agree with any of that. the child doesnt have to work there, its a choice, like going down the pit, climbing scaffolding, driving a lorry, all dangerous jobs. you shouldnt be able to stop consenting adults from smoking if in a business most of the customers want to. just dont go in.

so answer me this a pub with twenty customers, they all smoke, the landlord smokes, the bar maid smokes, you walk in and start coughing and complaining, should they all stub their fags out or should you go somewhere else?

I have already said this ...

Where are you going to find this mythical pub? Get real.

I do walk out if a pub is too smoky, I never return. Most of my friends do not smoke so we give our custom to off licence sales.

No pub or club will suffer loss of sales when they are 'clean' more non smokers will go out. Don't forget there are more people who don't smoke.

I have already said this ...

Where are you going to find this mythical pub? Get real.

I do walk out if a pub is too smoky, I never return. Most of my friends do not smoke so we give our custom to off licence sales.

No pub or club will suffer loss of sales when they are 'clean' more non smokers will go out. Don't forget there are more people who don't smoke.

you still havent answered the question. imagine the pub does exist. should it be deemed illlegal, and would that be fair?

if everybody did stop smoking wouldnt there have to be an increase in tax to make up the deficit. this would be paid ny none smokers as well, serves em bloody well right!

I can't remember what the rise in taxes would have to be to make up the deficit, but I do remember that smokers contribute around £7 billion per year (and they cost the NHS £1.5 billion). So I reckon that's the Exchequer down by around £5.5 billion.

Dozy

i know 4 landlords that say smoke and if the fascists come in he will say iasked them to stop and they refused hence they pass the blame over to me which i would expect in return for them taking the risk

then i get a fine and refuse to pay it

return to the pub say thanks and light up again

would people like you be happy if someone came up and stopped you doing something you like NO so dont preach

mikey so doesnt smoke he was giving examples he's is ok with walking in a pub with people smoking

and like he says more people will stop smoking over this and taxes will rise because the tax from smoking will fall then people like you will come out of wood work moaning cause you cant afford to go out for a drink

im killing myself by smoking my choice

dont stand near me you wont breathe it in

I can't remember what the rise in taxes would have to be to make up the deficit, but I do remember that smokers contribute around £7 billion per year (and they cost the NHS £1.5 billion). So I reckon that's the Exchequer down by around £5.5 billion.

Dozy

thankyou someone with a brain like mikey said taxes will rise so all non smokers as a result will suffer from petrol to your penny sweets will be taxed more just for stopping people doing something they choose to do

i dont tell you where to drink where to drive where to eat where to shi* where to breathe dont tell me where i can smoke :rant: :rant:

its fascist way of thinking. impossing your ideologies on others. self righteous or what?

Imposing what ideologies?

I think you are going a little over the top here.

As I have said the majority want it, that is democracy.

Democracy is far removed from fascism.

Non smokers have had to put up with the smokers blowing smoke into our lungs for far too long, now the wind has changed and all of us, smokers and non smokers will benefit.

This thread had a positive start with many smokers feeling that this new law will give motivation to quit, the only detractors being yourself and mrteabag who has made some extreme posts saying he will do as he pleases and to hell with anyone else.

I don't know about Ideologies but he certainly has no qualms about imposing his fag smoke on anyone.

Dozy

there also wouldnt be as many sick people. so we'd have to sack some nurses. see what the fascists are doing, throwing poor hard working nurses out of work!

Archived