Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

i aint arguing with you cause you are the sweetest :D

i smoke i invite you to my home see if you smell fags ??

no i do it on back garden :D :D

How hypocrytical is this? You smoke in your back garden because you admit it would make your house stink yet you don't mind inflicting your stench on others.

As for the tax argument, it is a fact that most smokers are low earners and, therefore, don't pay as much tax as non smokers, so if you all packed up at once it would have very little affect on the rest of us anyway.

it is a fact that most smokers are low earners and, therefore, don't pay as much tax as non smokers, so if you all packed up at once it would have very little affect on the rest of us anyway.

That's an interesting fact! Where exactly did you get it from, if you don't mind my asking.

By the way, I think you'll find the tax being discussed is the tax and duty paid on each packet of cigarettes - which is exactly the same, irrespective of the purchaser's income.

Dozy

That's an interesting fact! Where exactly did you get it from, if you don't mind my asking.

By the way, I think you'll find the tax being discussed is the tax and duty paid on each packet of cigarettes - which is exactly the same, irrespective of the purchaser's income.

Dozy

Duty raised on tobacco in 2006/7 was approximately £10 billion on an overall budget of £230 billion.

The correlation between smoking and earnings is something I have read about frequently. I will post you links later today.

Dozy

These are just a few examples. I don't think you will be able to point me to a site that show a relationship between smoking and high earners.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/health/html/inequalities.html#_Toc120353730

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/projects/smoking-priceincome.htm

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/wisc/jhr/2005/00000040/00000002/art00011

http://www.ashscotland.org.uk/ash/3399.html

Smokers pay less in tax than non smokers.

so does driving kills the enviroment stinks causes a smog and think you'll find cars kill more people than smoking i.e accidents

and i dont tell people where to drive so i dont expect to be told where to smoke

Don't talk such utter rubbish!

300 people a DAY die in the UK, from smoking related diseases, compared to the 3,500 per YEAR, approx who die in car accidents...

Deaths caused by smoking are five times higher than the 22,833 deaths arising from: traffic accidents (3,439); poisoning and overdose (881); alcoholic liver disease (5,121); other accidental deaths (8,579); murder and manslaughter (513); suicide (4,066); and HIV infection (234) in the UK during 2002

Half of all teenagers who are currently smoking will die from diseases caused by tobacco if they continue to smoke. One quarter will die after 70 years of age and one quarter before, with those dying before 70 losing on average 21 years of life. [3] It is estimated that between 1950 and 2000 six million Britons, 60 million people worldwide, died from tobacco-related diseases. (from A_S_H's site)

For every death caused by smoking, approximately 20 smokers are suffering from a smoking related disease.

One in two long-term smokers will die prematurely as a result of smoking – half of these in middle age. The most recent estimates show that around 114,000 people in the UK are killed by smoking every year, accounting for one fifth of all UK deaths. Most die from one of the three main diseases associated with cigarette smoking: lung cancer, chronic obstructive lung disease (bronchitis and emphysema) and coronary heart disease.

that's not to mention the millions living in misery with the deterioration of quality of life, due to conditions like COPD and heart disease due to smoking.

I think that before the smoking in public places ban begins, the government ought to have had a leaflet delivered to every home in the country. The leaflet should have stated just where smoking was to be banned. I am a non smoker, but I have friends who smoke and they are confused as to where the ban will be implemented. Pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres etc, well yes we all understand that but - where else? How will it affect people travelling together in cars, open topped stadiums such as Don Valley and the two Sheffield football clubs? There must be others too.

Nice to think I've woken up with one of my last passive smoking hangovers ever.

Plus it'll be well entertaining, I'm gonna go to loads of pubs around July 1st just to see the fun kick off.

There'll be 'no smoking, it is against the law to smoke here' signs wherever you can't smoke, so it should be fairly clear really.

A telephone line (0800 587 166 7) will also be in operation from 1 July 2007 to enable members of the public to report possible breaches of the law. This information will be passed to local councils to follow-up as appropriate.

Hopefully when people see smokers/places ignoring the new law in July, they will ring that number. I know i will. :D Should deter places from letting people ignore the new law.

If i go to the pub i don't make a non-drinker or ex-alcoholic drink my pint/G&T/etc with me, so when someone has a cigarette i don't see why i have to smoke it with them.

July 1st - Can't wait!

Archived