Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

afaik only in 'enclosed areas', but it appears that many private properties such as rail stations and hospitals are bringing in their own ban on smoking anywhere in their grounds anyway.

Ahh, that explains it! So theoretically you couldn't smoke in your car if you had passengers??

It can be banned now in areas owned by someone even if they are open air.

Barnsley council have a no smoking policy inside any workplace or in outside areas near doorways.

I banned it in the stage area run by myself in the town centre.

Outside it may be but it's still my work place and I could still smell the fumes.

The rest of the people there agreed with me and were pleased that the filthy one had to leave while conducting his weak minded mucky habit.

Not that I'm anti or anything.

Ahh, that explains it! So theoretically you couldn't smoke in your car if you had passengers??

Regardless if you have passengers or you are alone if it's a working area it's banned inside the scottish borders now and will be in England and wales soon. :thumbsup:

I would love it to apply to the beach.....please!

It does on Amadorus Beach in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria ... I was amazed. The tannoys kept reminding people that the beach was strictly no smoking and facilities for smoking were available off the beach area in a smoking enclosure. We need more of places like this!

Regardless if you have passengers or you are alone if it's a working area it's banned inside the scottish borders now and will be in England and wales soon. :thumbsup:

Yep, was talking to a lorry driver at work the other day who said that when the ban comes in he won't be allowed to smoke in his cab because it is his place of work, not that it will stop him!

Can anybody clarify the law regarding smoking in public places after July 1. Will it be illegal, as in Australia to smoke on the street or indeed any public place, which could include parkland?

Alas yes it will still be legal if you do it outside.

I suspect that would be classed as a private place and therefore the same as your house. So yes you could. You can of course voluntarily refrain from doing so if you feel your passengers would prefer this.

After reading other posts then it would be banned if you were a taxi driver and carrying passengers for a living, but I still don't think a private individual driving his own car would be effected. I think.

Yep, was talking to a lorry driver at work the other day who said that when the ban comes in he won't be allowed to smoke in his cab because it is his place of work, not that it will stop him!

But if his boss smells or sees the fagash or he has a passenger who objects he could end up in the deep and brown.

I know he could get a fine but I wonder if he would loose his job if he was convicted or even just caught doing it.

Anyone know ?

Archived