Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Oh indeed we do enjoy it. The majority at last have the right to a smokefree environment

Indeed.

I can now spend more than 10 minutes in the Pool room up at the Sportsman without worrying about teh effect of passive smoking on my health, and without smelling like an ashtray when I come out of the Pub.

Indeed.

I can now spend more than 10 minutes in the Pool room up at the Sportsman without worrying about teh effect of passive smoking on my health, and without smelling like an ashtray when I come out of the Pub.

did you ever worry about the effect on your health before ASH inventeted passive smoking? and start smelling yourself when you leave pubs?

This smoking ban thingy is the only good thing this Government has done for anyone "except the rich". It's fantastic me and the missus can go out to the pub or a gig without eyes stinging and clothes stinking. I hadn't been to a nightclub in over 10yrs, but in the last few months we've been clubbing 4 times, just because of the fact that come 11 pm we can still see and breath VIVA LA FRESH AIR. On a down note the times we have been out since the ban I reckon 90% of the times some **** has still lit up. so what can you do?

did you ever worry about the effect on your health before ASH inventeted passive smoking? and start smelling yourself when you leave pubs?

yeah i did actually, and its not just the health, its the smell, the taste, the stains, and the fact that atleast 30% of the smoke in the air came out of someone elses body...

It's fantastic me and the missus can go out to the pub or a gig without eyes stinging and clothes stinking.

The only drawback is all the inconsiderate smokers standing outside the entrance so you have to breathe in their second hand smoke as you fight your way inside. Take a hint, your kind are not wanted in today's society. :roll:

Neither are petty-minded miserable people intent on imposing their views on others by legislation rather than more suitable, more easily implemented, more popular and cheaper compromises.

Such as? If there were more no-smoking pubs/clubs before the ban, allowing people a choice, a blanket ban wouldn't have been necessary.

While I think the ban is fantastic from a personal point of view, I think there should have been more of a compromise. Unfortunately, I can't see how that would have really worked :(

Plenty of other options were available if market forces weren't having the 'desired' effect of persuading venues to go non-smoking. Two easily implementable ones off the top of my head:

- venues that serve food at any point of the day made smoke free

- discounts (be they insurance, NI, rates etc) or other financial incentives for landlords to go smoke free

I'm kind of in favour of smoke free. But I just find the method of of imposing it ridiculous. If, as seems to be the general opinion here, most people wanted a smoke free environment, why was no one providing one? People just couldn't be bothered to tell businesses what they wanted and so blanket legislation was brought in. Kind of symptomatic of a lot that's wrong in this country today - people always expecting someone else to do the complaining.

And I still wish I'd bought shares in a sticker manufacturer, they must now be minted.

yeah i did actually, and its not just the health, its the smell, the taste, the stains, and the fact that atleast 30% of the smoke in the air came out of someone elses body...

If the smoke was that worrying then why go? I mean my girlfriend doesn't like the smell of many plants or curry so she very rarely goes to garden centres or curry houses.

Archived