Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Interestingly, the % in this poll is quite significantly higher than simply the % that don't smoke welcoming the ban.

I think a lot of smokers voted YES as they thought the ban would mean non-smokers would stop whining about it, they didn't of course.

Oh yes, because the neo puritans dont want adults to do anything that would give a little enjoyment, for fear they may not be able to decide for themselves

How true, KJ. :)

Of course, with the ease some people are more than willing to be duped into being controlled by "The State" the Smoker's "Cristalnacht" will be even more interesting to watch when their subservience to some individuals losing their freedoms impinge on their own preferences. :)

We're getting there. Everyone does the "Dustbin" Dance at least twice a month, pays higher and higher taxation to "Save the Planet" :) and the bonds of respect and tolerance for our fellow men/women are withering like fruit on the vine.

Of course the "great and good" future stone-throwers don't realise that joining in the "Cristalnacht" revolution will ultimately lead to their own slavery and downfall. Maybe sooner than they realise. :(

Tolerance of the foibles of one's fellow man is the only only way to avoid future slavery for all in a truly nightmare world.

Otherwise it's maybe not all that far away. :)

You've a cheek to say i'm the one with no comprimise and stupid conclusions, firstly i don't even smoke and think everyone should do what i consider to be enjoyable, so that's the first of your conclusions you've got wrong, secondly i don't insinuate that all landlords/landladys aren't capable of running a pub that could cater for smokers and non smokers, and try to justify this law by stating this is why government had no choice to impose a ban on smoking everywhere. And lastly i don't think a local forum poll which has now been closed! is a true reflection of what most people think about the smoking ban.

I said that you have no idea whether I would have accepted a compromise, which was the conclusion you jumped to (incorrectly, which made it stupid).

• 3 weeks later...

We do not have a Government, We have a legislative body. For years we have had Public Houses with smoke rooms and none smoke rooms, There was no smoking at the bar. this should have been enforced. O.K. So smoking can kill. So can many other things. But, I as well as many others do not " Chain Smoke ". I know men and women over 70 that smoke. Several of my friends smoke cigars, Over the new year it was the case that the had to sit and have a cigar and a Brandy in the cold outside of the pub. Yet these men are in their 80's. It is not the ban that makes me angry. it is the way that it has been implemented. Forced upon publicans . Why could these publicans not have a seperate room for smokers as used to be the case. People that do no smoke would not be forced to breath in the smoke then. The ban though brought in in good faith was rushed and ill thought out. It is also the case that a few small fires have been caused b people having a smoke where they should not. There have been many problems brought about by this ban being rushed through. this is a breach of our civil liberties. whilst we are bringing our young boys home from Iraq in body bags. All people can complain about is smoking kills. Boys that are not old enough to buy a packet of ciggies are being shot at. Boys that cannot buy alcohol are being shot at. When we study the politically correct legislation that we have had to endure, I am sure members will agree. We have become a Police State.

Civil liberties? How about the staff that work in trhe pub? Who looks after their rights? The law was brought in for good reasons and the vast majority of people in the UK are non smokers and I for one enjoy a smoke free environment when i go out. Maybe it is time for your friends to stop, that is the best remedy. BTW what is their age got to do with it? Or are the elderly to be allowed to force their habit on non smokers?

We do not have a Government, We have a legislative body. For years we have had Public Houses with smoke rooms and none smoke rooms, There was no smoking at the bar. this should have been enforced. O.K. So smoking can kill. So can many other things. But, I as well as many others do not " Chain Smoke ". I know men and women over 70 that smoke. Several of my friends smoke cigars, Over the new year it was the case that the had to sit and have a cigar and a Brandy in the cold outside of the pub. Yet these men are in their 80's. It is not the ban that makes me angry. it is the way that it has been implemented. Forced upon publicans . Why could these publicans not have a seperate room for smokers as used to be the case. People that do no smoke would not be forced to breath in the smoke then. The ban though brought in in good faith was rushed and ill thought out. It is also the case that a few small fires have been caused b people having a smoke where they should not. There have been many problems brought about by this ban being rushed through. this is a breach of our civil liberties. whilst we are bringing our young boys home from Iraq in body bags. All people can complain about is smoking kills. Boys that are not old enough to buy a packet of ciggies are being shot at. Boys that cannot buy alcohol are being shot at. When we study the politically correct legislation that we have had to endure, I am sure members will agree. We have become a Police State.

What has the war in Iraq got to do with the smoking ban? Also if you really thought we had a police state you wouldn't openly admit so without fear of reprisals.

Archived