34 Short street sheffield in 1934

rushton50

Hi all new to this forum and thought perhaps you can help me.

I am researching mothers background, she was born and lived here until at least 1942.

The family name wouldve been swift Father Samuel T Swift a labourer at coalmine above ground and mother was Elsie Mellicent swift formerly sidebottom.

looking to trace who would have lived there between those years as my late mother told me that she had brothers and sisters, but names were unkown.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

welcome, rushton; you'll find we are a mine of information on the forum, :hihi:

have you searched on picture sheffiedd? you may well find pics that will give you an idea of what it looked like and what the conditions were.

1942 would be a bit too soon to search the census, as they are sealed for 100 yrs, (the most recent one is for 1901, unfortunately, )

try the local studies library, for electoral rolls and the kelly's directory, for "free" info, and sheffiedl archives on shoreham street for a facility whereby you pay for the info.

good luck in your search, hope you find the info you need.

I have checked my Kellys from 1933 to 42 and A Mrs Mary MERLINO shopkeeper lived at 34 in 1927 the only Merlino listed was Mrs Margil Confectioner Scotland st, you had best check the electoral roll for individuals who lived in 34. there was a Sam Morley metal spinner and Douglas Day hardware dealer in 1927 at 34,

1951 was Mrs Mary Parr.

Archived