The all things tattoo megathread

why are all these tattoo shops sited in the " disadvantaged " areas of town

They're not. Thou Art is on Chapel walk off fargate. Q tattoo is in Orchard Square off Fargate. Feline is on Ecclesall Road.

The ones that are in 'disadvantaged areas' are likely there for the same reason other businesses are there- cheaper rents on the shop/premises.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 12:03 ----------

Id love to see these young girls with tattoos covering the arms, face and legs and men for that matter when they are seventy years old, what sight they will look then.

Most 70 years olds will 'look a sight' to those who don't like the look of ageing, regardless of any body art they may have/not have.

A 70 year old with tattoos, will look as good, to those lacking prejudice against tattoos, as those without, probably better.

You don't like tattoos- fair enough: no-one cares what you think :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/972GU

Sorry- forgot to mention the 2 tattoo shops in the forum as well.

And yes, you may well see one in Meadowhall in the future: the only reason there are not currently several, is down to the bizarre prejudices that linger around tattooing.

I doubt you'd ever see a decent tattooist in Meadowhall. Good tattooists charge a lot, and are not interested in passing trade as they are by appointment only and have waiting lists for months. People travel across the country for a good tattooist, and don't care where the shop is so it makes the most sense to keep overheads down. Meadowhall's rents a far too high to make tattoo shop's profitable there.

I doubt you'd ever see a decent tattooist in Meadowhall. Good tattooists charge a lot, and are not interested in passing trade as they are by appointment only and have waiting lists for months. People travel across the country for a good tattooist, and don't care where the shop is so it makes the most sense to keep overheads down. Meadowhall's rents a far too high to make tattoo shop's profitable there.

I didn't specify the 'quality' of tattooist though, did I? There are plenty of tattooists not in the 'fine art' category who do make use of passing trade, and, who would happily set up in Meadowhall.

But you're right- the type of tattooist who are primarily appointment only, would probably not be interested in setting up in Meadowhall.

I didn't specify the 'quality' of tattooist though, did I? There are plenty of tattooists not in the 'fine art' category who do make use of passing trade, and, who would happily set up in Meadowhall.

But you're right- the type of tattooist who are primarily appointment only, would probably not be interested in setting up in Meadowhall.

The smallest units in Meadowhall are tens of thousands of pounds a year rent, plus bills, plus tax. A tattooist would have to charge an enormous amount and be constantly full to make any profit. People won't pay double the normal rate to use a poor tattooist whilst shopping in Meadowhall.

The smallest units in Meadowhall are tens of thousands of pounds a year rent, plus bills, plus tax. A tattooist would have to charge an enormous amount and be constantly full to make any profit. People won't pay double the normal rate to use a poor tattooist whilst shopping in Meadowhall.

Those rates apply to all businesses in meadowhall- plenty of which don't charge any more for their produce than the same business elsewhere.

The meadowhall pound shop, for example, charges one pound for items, just as do pound shops anywhere.

How does your hypothesis account for that?

Has anyone had work done by Joe Frost at Thou Art? His portfolio looks great but when I've spoken to people out and about one of the ladies I spoke to was very disappointed by him (her tattoo wasn't finished). But I've also heard good things.

Joes work is amazing, he's only been tattooing a few years & has won awards competing against world famous artists - not many folks in Sheffield can say that! If the lady was so disappointed she should have said something to the artist, I certainly would about any of mine if I wasn't 100% happy!

Those rates apply to all businesses in meadowhall- plenty of which don't charge any more for their produce than the same business elsewhere.

The meadowhall pound shop, for example, charges one pound for items, just as do pound shops anywhere.

How does your hypothesis account for that?

The pound shop is a chain. Chains always have high profile shops that lose money for tax purposes.