The all things tattoo megathread

If Its Been Ok For 6 Years It Might Just Be A Skin Problem Allergic Reaction To Something Cant See It Being The Tattoo After So Long If Youve Used Any New Body Washes Or Washing Powder Ect Stop Using It For A Bit And See If The Redness Subsides If Not Find Out What Ink Your Tattooist Used (if Possible) And Go Get A Doctors Opinion

If Its Been Ok For 6 Years It Might Just Be A Skin Problem Allergic Reaction To Something Cant See It Being The Tattoo After So Long If Youve Used Any New Body Washes Or Washing Powder Ect Stop Using It For A Bit And See If The Redness Subsides If Not Find Out What Ink Your Tattooist Used (if Possible) And Go Get A Doctors Opinion

It's definitely confined to the areas where the red inks are. Will definitely go to docs when I can get an appointment.

It's definitely confined to the areas where the red inks are. Will definitely go to docs when I can get an appointment.

You should also put in a search on bmezine.com. I have a recollection of similar questions posted on the QOD section in the past.

You should also put in a search on bmezine.com. I have a recollection of similar questions posted on the QOD section in the past.

You may have to join up to be able to see bmezine pages though- most of them are only available to members.

You may have to join up to be able to see bmezine pages though- most of them are only available to members.

Thats only the image galleries. The QOD pages are free to everyone.

I have a problem with one of my tattoos.

After six years of having one of my tattoos, the red area has suddenly (last few weeks) gone raised, bumpy and itchy. It's driving me mad.

I'd have expected that it would have reacted straight away, not after all this time!

I know this sounds odd but its probably hayfever. The white in my tattoo's flares up whenever I have hayfever. It also happens when I dye my hair!!!

It sounds bizarre but it is possible to have a localised reaction on healed tattoos to certain allergens. I would worry too much, use a little extra moisturiser or something similar and it should settle fairly quickely. A lot of tattooists don't seem to know about this but apparently its fairly common. After a while researching the subjects ( I have a fair bit of ink) I found this is something which happens to many people on healed tats :) Hope that puts your mind at rest.

I know this sounds odd but its probably hayfever. The white in my tattoo's flares up whenever I have hayfever. It also happens when I dye my hair!!!

It sounds bizarre but it is possible to have a localised reaction on healed tattoos to certain allergens. I would worry too much, use a little extra moisturiser or something similar and it should settle fairly quickely. A lot of tattooists don't seem to know about this but apparently its fairly common. After a while researching the subjects ( I have a fair bit of ink) I found this is something which happens to many people on healed tats :) Hope that puts your mind at rest.

Oh yeah, there's a warning on the back of hair dyes that says you are more likely to suffer from an allergic reaction if you have a tattoo.

Oh yeah, there's a warning on the back of hair dyes that says you are more likely to suffer from an allergic reaction if you have a tattoo.

Think its probably down to your immune system recognising the ink used as foriegn and so producing cells to fight them, and when you use hair dye there are some dyes which bare a basic chemical similarity to tattoo ink, and maybe this excess of cells goes to the site of tattoo's whenever your body is having an allergic reaction?! Hmmm interesting, think I'll look into it more...