The all things tattoo megathread

Originally posted by missb

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I was considering getting a tattoo. I want something tasteful and no bigger than a 50p piece. Any suggestions. How much am I likely to pay for one. I know it depends on the design.

Tattoos are horrible and thankfully becoming more and more unfashionable thanks, in part, to people just copying everyone else and having any old crap put on them. You wouldn't have the same phone for the rest of your life so why would any1 have the same design on them until they die.

These tattoos have become the 'new poor' determinators, the tatt at the base of the back and anything chinese or celtic. In a word NAFF.

Buy a new coat, have your ear pierced, whatever, but tattoos are sh*te!:gag:

Originally posted by miniminch

Tattoos are horrible and thankfully becoming more and more unfashionable thanks, in part, to people just copying everyone else and having any old crap put on them. You wouldn't have the same phone for the rest of your life so why would any1 have the same design on them until they die.

mine are one of a kind :)

people in other towns have recognised me at gigs from my tattoos before :)

I was going to get one a few years ago, but ever so glad I didn't!! I think if you're gonna get one, you should wait around six months or so & see if you still want one after that.

One of my mates got one done a few years ago on his arm. He was adament he was only going to get the one. Three years later, and he's just had his fifth one. They have got bigger each time. I've found that with most people, they can't stop after only one.

Originally posted by miniminch

These tattoos have become the 'new poor' determinators, the tatt at the base of the back and anything chinese or celtic. In a word NAFF.

Buy a new coat, have your ear pierced, whatever, but tattoos are sh*te!:gag:

I agree mini. I have never understood the tattoo craze in this country (I say in this country because it does not seem to have caught on in continental Europe or in other parts of the world, with the exceptions perhaps of the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand). Most of them do indeed look horrible - and tasteless to boot. At one time, the only people who had tattoos had either been in the navy or in jail (An Italian woman told me that Italians tend to regard tatoos as a sign that the person had been in prison - I think a similar attitude is common in many parts of the Far East, excluding the South Sea Islands and New Zealand).

Until recently, I thought that the first tattoo craze in Europe was a result of British contacts with the South Sea islands in the 18th century. However, I read recently that the body of the famous Iceman (who died several thousand years ago) in the Alps was decorated with tattoos. Perhaps there is some deeper reason for the fashion for indelible body art (outisde the confines of a prison or ship) , but I must say I have no idea what it is.