The all things tattoo megathread

Just out of curiosity...are you Indian yourself? If not, why do you want a tattoo in a language you dont speak, and has no relation at all to your culture?

I have some japanese in my tat, tho I am not Japanese.

The tattoo I got when I finally acheived a big goal for me in Judo, which is a Japanese game, hence choice of Japanese.

There are thousands of people who speak Gujurati, Punjabi, Urdu etc in Sheffield. This is not a dig by any means, but its easy enough to find them. Can't you just ask in a shop or an Indian restaurant? They are extremely friendly people, especially if you are showing an interest in their culture.

• 3 weeks later...

represents family in what way? If you havent got at least a bit of an idea in your mind, doesnt that tell you something about whether youre ready to get it permanantly inked on you or not?

I do have a chinese tattoo and, yes, I did check it before it was done.

I was in a take away some while ago when a customer walked in with a chinese tatt. Upon asking my friend in chinese if she understood it she responded in english that she had no idea as it was not in chinese.

As she walked into the kitchen with the order the customer seemed more than a little unhappy as he pondered his arm :D

Moral is - get someone to check the text before you get it done.