The all things tattoo megathread

I can't imagine many tattoo artists would do anything but show respect and make their customers comfortable. They have all dealt with people who have trouble coping with the pain in the past and will do anything they can to make it a nice experience.

I can't recommend Irezumi on Abbeydale Road highly enough.

My 20yr old son had similar anxiety before his first tattoo and they were absolutely brilliant with him.

They explained everything in detail, didn't make him feel stupid and really went the extra mile to help him relax.

Phone number is 0114 2559471

Mr personality at woodseats uses it if you ask him before hand, and i believe van sheiks at hillsbrough also.

I've had several tattoos and i've took paracetomol before hand it doesn't take the pain off complely but helps a bit.

if it's your wifes first tatt tell her to have a fizzy drink and a mars bar to keep her sugar up it's quite a shock on the first 1 especially on the foot.

Oh yes Mr. personality forget bout that, they have a special numbing spray it works within 10 seconds, I asked them to spray me once to see what it fealt like and the liquid just drys up on your skin to make it go all numb.

I had a tat on me foot, it is abit of a shock, the outline killed, sent shock all around my body, but it's not as bad as my recent tat, what had done on my back and spine, now that hurts on your spine, will admit that.

Hello

My wife would like a memorial tattoo and has never had a tattoo before, she is aware it will hurt however would like to find an artist who will be respectful and sensitive not one that will laugh (as found when been for quotes before) when she asks for numbing cream for example. Shes been through enough emotional pain and I would like to find a tattoo artist who can treat her will some respect for the reason she is having this done and cover her foot in numbing cream! or knock her over the head before he/she starts LOL. You know what I mean though.

many thanks in advance

Numbing creams dont work for tattoos really. What she'd be best doing is buying come vasocane (or is it spelt vasocain) from ebay (about £25 for a decent bottle). Once the outline is done on the tattoo, spray some and she'll find it numbs up in no time.

Have a chat with Nikk at Good Vibrations Tattoo (Crookes) if she wants more info.

Can anyone recommend good websites or other resources for Celtic symbols? I am looking for a couple of things with a very specific meaning:)

thank you

George Bain's book is the classic one about celtic knotwork - its from the 1940s - but was used as main source for many a celtic tattoo during its most popular phase in the late 80s/early 90s

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0486229238

BTW: if you're looking for someone good at celtic stuff - a friend had a great celtic full back piece done by Gav at Feline

Edited by jake

Thats very helpful. However her foot is the only place she would like one, she doesnt like visable tattoo's on woman on a daily basis, but wouldnt mind one on her foot to show if she wanted to wear sandals. The other parts of her body wouldnt be appropriate for this kind of tattoo really I dont think. Im hoping with the idea she as it doesnt have much detail and its fairly simple so as painful as it will be it shouldnt take long, and hopefully some strong numbing cream will work.

I think that the drawback with numbing creams is that it raises the expectation of pain-free tattooing, so that any pain feels worse as a consequence! I think it's better to go with an expectation that it will hurt, and then it might not be so bad. And like you say, it shouldn't take long, and then the pain will be entirely forgotten.

I'd heard bad things about feet, and was prepared for it to be really painful, but in fact my feet were one of the easiest tattoos that I've had (I'm a woman). If a shop laughs at you when you ask for numbing cream, that tells you all you need to know about them, and you should go elsewhere anyway. If they can't treat you and your question with respect and/or explain why they don't use it, find someone that is a little more customer-focused!