Lost pubs website

Sheffielder

I think the pub the OP is asking about was the Royal. It stood where the KFC is now. I was a regular there for a few years around the end of the eighties / early nineties.

We had some very good times.

Aye ~~

It was definately the Royal. Me Mam worked there on the teatime shift during the week.

I remember the big match at Hillsborough and ALL the doors were locked and we were upstairs watching a sea of faces walking to the ground.

It was the Gregorys that were there then.

*Smiles*

Angi

Can you give me some more details about this book please?

It was a book by Douglas Lamb, about the history of pubs and breweries in Sheffield (ISBN 1-87418-55-5 - did a quick search about!). It's years since I read it, but I'm sure I remember a mention of the "Who Can Tell".

Really? :o Do tell me more!!

Not much else I can say, apart from the fact that it came up in bar room banter in my old local in Crookes ........ but I do remember it being mentioned ........ I'll do some more digging ........

I remember seeing once a website that was dedicated to pubs that had closed/been demolished and I think was mostly Sheffield based.

It had a picture on there of the pub that used to be opposite Owlerton stadium, near B&Q possibly where the drive through KFC is..

Does anyone know where I can find this website ?

Try http://sheffieldpub.co.uk/

It was a book by Douglas Lamb, about the history of pubs and breweries in Sheffield (ISBN 1-87418-55-5 - did a quick search about!). It's years since I read it, but I'm sure I remember a mention of the "Who Can Tell".

Not much else I can say, apart from the fact that it came up in bar room banter in my old local in Crookes ........ but I do remember it being mentioned ........ I'll do some more digging ........

The WHO CAN TELL was in Grimesthorpe on Botham St.

Thank you Sheffielder. Didn't know about this site - have registered!

No worries - it's a fairly new site - only been going about 6 weeks - there's a section on there specifically for pubs and working mens clubs of Sheffield's past.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=5

I'm sure there's something there that everyone will remember

I remember seeing once a website that was dedicated to pubs that had closed/been demolished and I think was mostly Sheffield based.

It had a picture on there of the pub that used to be opposite Owlerton stadium, near B&Q possibly where the drive through KFC is..

Does anyone know where I can find this website ?

Is it The Rose Inn - 627 Penistone Road?

Archived