English Steel Vickers Works & Duke Street Cinema

sambate

In 1950 my parents married and moved from Hartlepool to live at 390 Earl Marshall Road and later moved to 157 Duke Street. At the time my dad was working as a welder for the English Steel Corp at their Vickers Works (Boiler Division) in Sheffield, which I believe was in the area of Grimesthorpe.

My question is, where was the Vickers Works actually situated and what is there now? I'm taking my mam back to Sheffield (she's now back in Hartlepool) for a nostalgia day trip at the end of this month and I would like to show her some of the areas she knew from back then.

Opposite where she lived in Duke Street there was a cinema. Does anyone know the name of that cinema and if there are any pictures of it?

In 1950 my parents married and moved from Hartlepool to live at 390 Earl Marshall Road and later moved to 157 Duke Street. At the time my dad was working as a welder for the English Steel Corp at their Vickers Works (Boiler Division) in Sheffield, which I believe was in the area of Grimesthorpe.

My question is, where was the Vickers Works actually situated and what is there now? I'm taking my mam back to Sheffield (she's now back in Hartlepool) for a nostalgia day trip at the end of this month and I would like to show her some of the areas she knew from back then.

Opposite where she lived in Duke Street there was a cinema. Does anyone know the name of that cinema and if there are any pictures of it?

For a picture of the Norfolk, google "Old Sheffield cinemas".

Sambate

There were two Boiler Shops employing welders, one was a large workshop situated off Hawke Street- through the work's gate on your right hand side travelling up the road.

It was the second building on the left as you travel into the River Don Works West Area.

The second one was inside the Grimesthorpe Works off the Brightside end of Carlisle Street.

The workshop was very close to the tunnel which went under Carlisle Street on the inside of the works.

This Boiler was quite small compared with the larger one at the River Don Works Site but nevertheless produced some good work.

if you want any more details please send me a PM.

Happy Days!

Hi,

If your parents lived on Duke Street opposite the Norfolk Picture House, the only premises there was the Pub on the corner of Duke street and Bernard Street (can't remember the name) and C & A Reed Funeral Director's. The pub is still there ( I think) but Reed's sold out 25-30 years ago. Not even sure if its a funeral business any more. There may have been a house or houses between the Pub and Reed's but can't remember it.

Regards

Falls

There was a club just below Reeds, do you know the name of it?

Happy days!

Hi PopT,

I always knew it as Park Club. I don't know if it had an additional name like Liberal or Conservative. It was the favourite watering hole for some real larger-than-life characters. Did you remember David Ray who used to own S.A. Ward's, the engineering works on Cricket Inn Road, and his partner/manager Arthur Smith? Great guy's.

Regards

• 3 years later...

Hi There

The cinema on the corner of Duke Street was the Norfolk Picture Palace.

It opened on Christmas Eve 1914 remaining open for 45 years closing on Christmas Eve 1959.The building was then demolished.

My grandfather was the operator for the first film shown there and was Manager fom 1929.

Archived