What's Your Thoughts & Opinions On Vigilante Groups To Fight Crime ?

The encouragement of vigilantes would lead to the closet thugs and hooligans in every neighbourhood being given a green light to start their own reign of terror.

I had a friend who visited Poland where skinhead 'vigilante' gangs roam housing estates looking for junkies and others they consider 'anti social.' She learned of this when she met a diabetic man who'd been hospitalised because the skinheads forced him to show his arms and attacked him because he had injection marks.

People have rights to a fair hearing for good reasons. Is there anyone on this forum who has never been accused of something they didn't do?

Too damn right donkey. Vigilantism is a very bad thing and I think it's to be avoided at all costs.

New York's Guardian Angels are pretty laid-back. They're more about intervention and protection of innocents than punishment of criminals.

Aye, fair point Banjo. However I get the feeling that, if some of the crackerjacks on here had their way, that it'd be a case of 'beat to a bloody pulp and ask questions later'.

Too damn right donkey. Vigilantism is a very bad thing and I think it's to be avoided at all costs.

Except when it has a positive result on rooting out undesireables.

As mentioned earlier, the successful policy of discriminating against gypsies by the Czechs is proof enough.

Except when it has a positive result on rooting out undesireables.

As mentioned earlier, the successful policy of discriminating against gypsies by the Czechs is proof enough.

No, it's proof that if unchallenged, vigilantism leads to appalling social injustice.

No, it's proof that if unchallenged, vigilantism leads to appalling social injustice.

Instead of providing muscle, I'd prefer to see people more willing to offer some extra cash for extra policing & CCTV in badly infested areas. Far safer and less exhausting.

Where was it mentioned earlier? and how does discriminating against people help?

It was mentioned in a post (since removed) from someone who may have been attempting to subvert a ban; the poster was saying the Czechs were 'great' because it was illegal to school gypsy children and that their encampments were regularly smashed up while the authorities turned a blind eye.

I agree that there can be a real problem caused when thugs take the law into their own hands, but there is a place for something much simpler. When a serious crime has been committed then the police should be called and should deal with it. However, there are minor crimes and acts of anti-social behaviour that should be tackled by the community as a whole. This needn't involve attacking the offenders or attempting to arrest them, it can just be all the neighbours getting together and standing up to the idiots. It can even be all the residents reporting every offence to the police/council or all putting their names to petitions.

Archived