What's Your Thoughts & Opinions On Vigilante Groups To Fight Crime ?

I agree that there can be a real problem caused when thugs take the law into their own hands, but there is a place for something much simpler. When a serious crime has been committed then the police should be called and should deal with it. However, there are minor crimes and acts of anti-social behaviour that should be tackled by the community as a whole. This needn't involve attacking the offenders or attempting to arrest them, it can just be all the neighbours getting together and standing up to the idiots. It can even be all the residents reporting every offence to the police/council or all putting their names to petitions.

Ever the voice of reason, KenH. This is pretty much what actually happens where my girlfriend lives - in a part of town with a pretty poor reputation (there was a gunfight there last summer!). The neighbours go out if there's any bother and have words with whoever's causing the bother. Generally it works rather well. Knowing the local area and the people who live in it is a pretty good thing, for this and for more pleasureable reasons.

The encouragement of vigilantes would lead to the closet thugs and hooligans in every neighbourhood being given a green light to start their own reign of terror.

I had a friend who visited Poland where skinhead 'vigilante' gangs roam housing estates looking for junkies and others they consider 'anti social.' She learned of this when she met a diabetic man who'd been hospitalised because the skinheads forced him to show his arms and attacked him because he had injection marks.

People have rights to a fair hearing for good reasons. Is there anyone on this forum who has never been accused of something they didn't do?

Diabetics don't tend to inject into arms. Insulin is a sub cutaneous injection & the sites are normally around abdomen & upper thigh.

Maybe the 'diabetic' was also a drug addict?

It's a tricky one this. It is a fact that alot of petty criminals go about their business, safe in the knowledge that people will watch them doing it rather than step in and oppose them. On the other hand, if vigelante groups are allowed to operate without accountabillity, inocent people are going to get beaten up and perhaps killed.

How about some sensible suggestions about how vigilante groups could be safely reulated and held accountable for their actions?

It's a tricky one this. It is a fact that alot of petty criminals go about their business, safe in the knowledge that people will watch them doing it rather than step in and oppose them. On the other hand, if vigelante groups are allowed to operate without accountabillity, inocent people are going to get beaten up and perhaps killed.

How about some sensible suggestions about how vigilante groups could be safely reulated and held accountable for their actions?

My suggestion elsewhere of National Service Police would generate the necessary numbers for identification and collaring of malefactors.

All entirely within the legal structure.

The greater problem is the arbitrary sentencing regime of the courts and their lack of accountability to society, or any demonstrably effective system of correction.

FAO Those who think it should be avoided at all costs, I have already said in my first post i don't like the idea of people taking the law into their own hands, however I & others are at their wits end with these yobs, if you lived where I live I am sure you would change your mind after a week, never mind 5 months! there is only so much crap the average person can take.

What stops people is they did do something to stop these scummy people they are the ones who will be ending up in nick.

We've reported 43 incidents of anti social behaviour since Sept 06 as well as providing the Police, Sheffield Homes & South Yorkshire Housing with valuable information, none of this has been acted upon so what would you all do??

A lot of law abiding citizens are simply at their wits end & see no other alternative other than forming vigilante groups to get rid of the scum wandering the street sticking their fingers up at society. You simply cannot rely on the police anymore. Virtually everybody I speak to has lost all trust in our local constabulary.

I know how you feel King Rat. But I dont know about vigilantism. I can see arguments for and against, but its about time those of us who are subjected to antisocial behaviour got back some sort of control in our lives. Trouble is, we are not all 6' 4", male and fit!

But if you do things correctly and report all incidents through the proper channels and still nothing improves, then there is a great deal of motivation to get out and do something yourself if you are capable.

I know how you feel King Rat. But I dont know about vigilantism. I can see arguments for and against, but its about time those of us who are subjected to antisocial behaviour got back some sort of control in our lives. Trouble is, we are not all 6' 4", male and fit!

But if you do things correctly and report all incidents through the proper channels and still nothing improves, then there is a great deal of motivation to get out and do something yourself if you are capable.

I'm glad somebody does!, as I have said in my first post I really don't like the idea but we can't move (not that we should have to) but just feel that enough is enough & something needs to happen.

BTW How did you know I was 6'4 & fit? :D

I'm glad somebody does!, as I have said in my first post I really don't like the idea but we can't move (not that we should have to) but just feel that enough is enough & something needs to happen.

BTW How did you know I was 6'4 & fit? :D

Well if you are 5'6" and weedy you stay out of trouble generally!

Archived