Gordon Hollow Legs Stones Brewery.

muppet

Hi,

Yes, I remember Gordon vaguely. He worked with my dad and uncle at Stones. Bill and John Hall. His nickname was well founded if the stories my dad told were true.

Will

One of the stories was, On the day of the stones fishing trip he started with about a gallon for breakfast, a gallon on the coach,2 gallon at the river bank, a gallon on the coach stopping at wmc on the way home for another gallon.

whenthe coach arrived back in shefield at about 11 he said or we going for a drink i know where we can get a bit of afterbird:gag:

Did 'hollowlegs' live in the Walkley area?

I once went to meet a pal in the Springvale Hotel and this bloke in working clothes came in and bought two pints, sat down and drank the first one in a matter of seconds.

The second pint he drank in two drinks.

He then went to the bar where two pints had already been pulled and were waiting for him on the bar.

Returning to the table he saw them off in quick style.

Again to the bar to collect another two pints and after them another two pints.

In all he consumed a gallon of beer and I hadn't even drunk one pint.

After the eighth pint he shouted his farewells to the landlord and off he went home.

Fascinated I asked about him and I was told he worked at the brewery and drank beer in quantity anytime.

A Gallon for his breakfast, dinner and teatime.

It was his habit to call for 8 pints on his way home.

To my reckoning he was doing 4 gallons per day, he must have been the only beer driven man in Sheffield.

I was staggered at his stamina.

Happy Day! Indeed!!!

Archived