Goodison136 ex Duncombe Street

Goodison136

Spot on, one of her son's was my dad Alf who played for Wednesday. His dad was also called Alfred. Not sure who they sold it on to but Calverts had the shoe-shop. Susan came to a funeral of one of our relatives. Her parents were called Mary and Frank. I used to stay a lot with my grandparents - I was the eldest and spoiled - and I always listened for the first tram of the morning going by. They then moved to Nether Edge but that dynasty has moved on. All the three sons and Edna (daughter) have died.

Just been casting my mind back because they did lots of orders - it was a good business and they had a weekend caravan on Lodge Lane. I can remember Phoebe Birks and someone called Shirley Henderson. There were a couple of twins who would be described as ESN who used to lick bottle tops! The Finnegans - some of whom I still see - had an order, they lived in Hatfield Street. We used to sell the wood for lighting fires bound by that wire. That place of manufacture was at Woodseats.

They used to send me to Thompsons for a "Green 'Un" and I went with my gran to Sampson's beer-off across the road. On another thread, I mentioned the tardis that I used to pass (on the little plot of land at the bottom of Heavygate). Amazing!

Yep sounds about right..but The Calverts did have the shop after your gran.Barry was their son..Sylvia Birks lived on the row of houses...Lightowler family lived opposite side of the road....and then the chapel on the opposite side of South Road..I think Susan and Mr & Mrs Stringer went to live at Stannington somewhere....cant rememnber you though...can you me....

No sorry but we are going back about 50 years! I remember the shop and the old pennies 240 to the £! and the 'ten bob' notes. The worrying aspect is this; my grandad died of cancer, all the four children did, and I had a melanoma removed 2.5yrs ago. Doesn't bear thinking about.. so see if someone else responds to your original schooling post, if I've gone off at a tangent, sorry?

....the greengrocers' shop at the bottom of Duncombe Street/South Road....

It seems strange to me that even people with a long term link to this area think that this is South Road - it's Howard Road! South Road ends at Cundy Street, then it's Howard Road all the way to Commonside.

If people might be interested I have an early 20th century newspaper report of a court case in which a servant in the grocer's sued the fish frier for slander :D

Hugh (30 seconds walk away from that sadly missed chippy)

Archived