Goodison136 ex Duncombe Street

Goodison136

Back in the mid to late '60's I used to go to school with Steve Foster who lived with his dad on Duncombe Street (cannot remember which number) I always thought his Dad was pretty cool because he had a Hammond organ in the front room and could play it really really well.

Hi HughW...Yes you are right but just about everyone called it South Road ...neverh mind nice to see some-one on their toes...ha ha...so what year are we talking about with the sadly missed chippy...I thought it might be still there....

Two years (maybe) since the chippy became the 'Wok This Way' Chinese takeaway. Nice people, and we use it regularly, but it's sad that Walkley doesn't have a proper fish and chip shop any more. :( The grocer's (and I never knew it as a shop - I moved here 1982) is now a student house and they have recently painted it blue.

Hugh

It seems strange to me that even people with a long term link to this area think that this is South Road - it's Howard Road! South Road ends at Cundy Street, then it's Howard Road all the way to Commonside.

If people might be interested I have an early 20th century newspaper report of a court case in which a servant in the grocer's sued the fish frier for slander :D

Hugh (30 seconds walk away from that sadly missed chippy)

True to my word on precision, I stand correction. I didn't think it was South Road but Howard Road had gone out of my head. Now I remember the term 'Howard hill' which I think was the climb up to Fulton Road? Cheers.

:)

Back in the mid to late '60's I used to go to school with Steve Foster who lived with his dad on Duncombe Street (cannot remember which number) I always thought his Dad was pretty cool because he had a Hammond organ in the front room and could play it really really well.

Cant say I remember you at all sorry..but I left there in 1962 but my parents were there till 1971 when sadly I lost my mum in a bad traffic accident outside the row of shops we are talking about.....maybe someone remembers them.....:)

:)

No sorry but we are going back about 50 years! I remember the shop and the old pennies 240 to the £! and the 'ten bob' notes. The worrying aspect is this; my grandad died of cancer, all the four children did, and I had a melanoma removed 2.5yrs ago. Doesn't bear thinking about.. so see if someone else responds to your original schooling post, if I've gone off at a tangent, sorry?

yes I can go back that far too..to 1947 to be exact is the year we moved there...but thanks anyway CHAIRBOY...( Goodison136}

Two years (maybe) since the chippy became the 'Wok This Way' Chinese takeaway. Nice people, and we use it regularly, but it's sad that Walkley doesn't have a proper fish and chip shop any more. :( The grocer's (and I never knew it as a shop - I moved here 1982) is now a student house and they have recently painted it blue.

Hugh

I'm mistaken here, the grocer's you are talking about is the corner shop, I think. The blue house (which was a grocer's in the early 20th century) is the other side of the chippy. I was looking at some photos on the Picture Sheffield database (on the library system but unfortunately not on the online version). Somebody took a lot of pictures in January 1967, including one showing the corner shop with the name CALVERT and the chippy with the name STRINGER.

Hugh

Archived