IPod Volume help

scottf

I think you will find that the volume is limited by the hardware, i.e. the size of the amplifier.

My, now stolen, Sony minidisc was fantastic. My iPod and Vaio portable are shadows in terms of audio performance.

They are protecting themselves from being sued.

But I agree, they don't go loud enough. I would rather have a machine that will deafen me and I could choose not to, rather than something that distorts as soon as you choose to listen a little louder.

EU regulations mean the volume has to be limited at a certain level. My iPod is from the US where no such regulations exist.

So I can happily deafen myself.

For an extra volume boost, select everything in your library, right click and go to properties/get info. You should be able to increase the volume by up to another 100%

It's the best you're going to get, I'm afraid.

EU regulations mean the volume has to be limited at a certain level. My iPod is from the US where no such regulations exist.

So I can happily deafen myself.

So is mine, but it's not loud enough. That's where they are more likely to get sued. Maybe there isn't a regulation, but they are definatly quieter from US nowadays.

It's across the board.

Another solution is better headphones. iPods don't like high impedence (?) ear phones as it places a higher strain on the amp so it can't go as loud. If you get some with a very high sensitivity then the amp doesn't have to work as hard so can usually push louder.

I find the volume on my (1st Gen) Nano is fine. On most tracks i can't turn it past about 2/3s of the way without wanting to rip my ears off it hurts so much.

I don't have the Volume Limiting system turned on, but i think you can switch it on and off in iTunes. (To be honest i've never actually looked)

Apple's page on the matter is HERE for anyone interested.

Another solution is better headphones. iPods don't like high impedence (?) ear phones as it places a higher strain on the amp so it can't go as loud. If you get some with a very high sensitivity then the amp doesn't have to work as hard so can usually push louder.

I have my own moulded in ear monitors, i.e they only fit me and basically 'isolate' you, but the iPod( 2nd gen original, not Nano ) still isn't loud enough.

I like my music loud when the mood takes me.

Archived