First or favourite cars

tiffy

My first car was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E.......cost £145, easy to work on, could get half a tank of petrol with a ten bob note - think road tax was about £15 for the year.

Best car I ever owned......in the 60's it was fashionable to have loads of spot lamps on the front bumper, a cartoon character on the bonnet ( nearly the size of the bonnet ), a long whip arial that reached from its mounting hole in the front wing to the rear wing where it was held in place with a clip.

Looked good when it had been cleaned and polished - the chrome work on the wing mirrors, wiper arms, bumpers and hub caps use to glisten.

Next car I had after that was a 1967 Austin Cambridge - another nice car, it was built like a tank, when you got in it you could smell the leather of the seats - only trouble with this car was due to the weight of it, it was a little more expensive to run.

1938 austin 10.(£25 with a years 10year test as it was known in those days!)All my mates had frogeyes etc.I was the poor relation but it was more fun coming back from Lathkildale or driving across moorland tracks in my car!

Our first new car was a Hienkle ( sp) bubble car salmon pink circa 1958 it was 420 quid bought it at Highfields. Sold it for 500 a year later...once it held 4 adults and a 7 year old.. Wish I had it today but 3 wheelers aren't allowed in Canada. Thanks for the memory.

1947 Ford Anglia. Sit up and beg type. I bought it in 1963 for 20 pounds. 3 gears plus reverse. Windshield wipers slowed down at higher speeds. Indicators consisted of two little orange arms, one on either side, that popped out. Rarely started with the starter button on the dash. Used a crankhandle or jump started it on a hill by coasting in neutral then slamming it into second.

1947 Ford Anglia. Sit up and beg type. I bought it in 1963 for 20 pounds. 3 gears plus reverse. Windshield wipers slowed down at higher speeds. Indicators consisted of two little orange arms, one on either side, that popped out. Rarely started with the starter button on the dash. Used a crankhandle or jump started it on a hill by coasting in neutral then slamming it into second.

semerfor if I have spelt it right thats what the indicators were called my freinds got it on is armstronge sidley 14

like a lot of new drivers my first car was a mini but the best car i ever owned was a triumph dolomite sprint. i loved that car but when the missus and me bought our first house together we had a car each but we couldn't afford to run both. my sprint was too powerful for her so unfortunately it had to go.

Archived