Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

• 1 month later...

I was a black cab driver in Sheffield from 1971 to 1978.sheffield was a fantastic place to be. My memories are so numerous, i find it difficult to pick any out, but one thing that springs to mind was Josies night club. I used to park my cab up at 1 am and go to josies for the last hour or so. It was a fabulous place to be and the tottie was superb. My working day was spent on Fitzalan Square taking fares around the city. We prided ourselves on never asking a customer for any sort of directions we knew the city inside out. There was a taxi Inspector called Mr Nelson a former senior police officer who granted Hackney licences and was a cruel taskmaster.

He woukld turn up on the square and Inspect cabs, if yours was dirty inside or out, he would order you off the rank to go and clean your vehicle. How different to today. I had some fantastic mates.

Barry Brears, Roger Wills [sadly gone] Keith Wilson,Steve Smallcombe, Horace Norton, and many others. I remember taking children from the wicker arches to the seaside every year for free. ther would be poss 50 cabs set off for Skegness and stay in line the whole way. Any one out there ex cabbies log on and tell us your bit.

True love means never having to say you are sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember going to the ABC and the Classic cinamas to watch the all-nighters. Also Merry England club beneath the Black Swan, go to the pub t

hen pop downstairs to the club. great, didn't have that far to stumble.:D Also remember the Heartbeat club nxt to the bowling alley and above the skating rink on queens rd. Lived in Broomhall at the time, so could go most places and walk home in the summer. Used to go to Baileys which later became Romeo and Julliets, also Penthouse and on special nts the Fiesta, miss Fiesta because now there is nowhere a woman can get properly dressed up to go ( evening gown etc).They were good days, safe days.

• 2 weeks later...
hay if you want real 70s rock nights go down the nelson they play records in there once a month

And we play the best of classic rock too at the weekends.....it will bring back a lot of happy memories as I dig up some long forgotten stuff if requested...

Archived