Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

I remember going for a job interview at Arthur Lees in the late 70`s. I was out running this morning and went over the bridge where it used to go over the factory on woolly wood bottom. It`s sad to see it all demolished now. Even the ornimental garden is still there, it`s more like a jungle now though.

What do I remember about the 70's?

Plenty of industry (steel works, cutlery works, breweries) etc. Plenty of work around - you could literally leave one job one day and be in another the next.

Fiesta Club

Silver Blades Ice Rink

I used to live on Broomhall flats which was great as it meant I could go to Top Rank Suite in the evenings and walk back home - very often on my own - and feel entirely safe.

Getting married (now that was a mistake!:gag:):hihi: :hihi:.

Catching the 52 bus from Crookes, paying 2p (kids fare) and getting of at Hight Street. All the shoe shops on Fargate... Department stores like Rackhams... Schofields (next to the Mucky Duck)... C&A (cheap & awful?)... Watching the trains thunder past Millhouses Park on balmy Sunday afternoons. Anyone remember Bar Rio that was always packed (near the Wedding Cake)? Halford's bike shop. The Limit on West Street where I used to see The Human League before they became famous. Ice skating on Saturday afternoons at Silver Blades. Those awful platform shoes! Buying a Walls icecream or an ice lolly at the Rivelin Valley paddling pools and then being swarmed by wasps.

The "umbrella" cafe in the Sheaf market where the birds used to be able to get in and sit on the tables (and poo.... :hihi:!)

You had to go upstairs to it and from there you could see the dusty bin stall!

Health & Safety would have a fit now!

Ahh the 70s, in 1976(The Hot summer) I was 26,living at Guildford View flats , norfolk park on the 15th floor, that was when the flats were a great place to live, our caretaker kept the Lift spotless,the kids used to call him Thumper,because thats what they got if he caught them messing about.

Also the Fun Fairs in Norfolk park during the summer, does anybody remember the King Kong Tent, you paid to enter, and it was quite dark inside,there was a large cage with "King Kong" prowling up and down, when they got about thirty in the Tent, "King Kong" would pull the bars apart and escape!!!!!!!!!, the crowd went barmy, running everwhere, I ended up on my back, outside the Tent having been pushed through a gap in the Canvas.My mate commented after, that "King Kong" had a Yorkshire accent, In case you're wondering that was before "Health and Safety" and compensation claims were invented.

Ahh yes the 70s, Monday night Discos at the "Captive queen", and Games nights at the "Vulcan" we just went for the free sarnis, and we never saw much trouble,not even in the "Horse and Lion" or "Fellbrigg"

Just learn't recentley that the Flats are no more, quite sad really, as I was quite Happy living there in the good old 70s.

Its been nice to have had a chance to reminisce about my time in the 70s :-)

We lived in Dore in 1973. Princess Anne married Mark Phillips that year and remember watching some of the ceremony thru a shop window in town in my lunch break in town . I worked in Town Hall in the typing pool for the Sheffield Treasury. The summer that year was was brilliant and we walked for miles along the horse riding tracks collecting wild berries and enjoying the scenery around Dore.

Our daughter went to King Ecgbert's school that year. Colour TV came on the market and we could only afford black and white at the time. When we visited Blackpool the boarding house we stayed in had a colour television and I remember I couldn't stop watching. The program was part of the "Black Beauty" series. Not all the programs were colour though. Walked along Blackpool prom , visited The Pleasure Beach. The Laughing clown was still there at the gate's entrance. (Is it still there?). It was a busy year but the winter weather was a killer for the hubby's job (brickie). Returned to Sydney 1974. One of the items on our "must have" list when we settled in Sydney was a colour Tv.

• 7 months later...

Archived