Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

Saturday afternoons at the Bucaneer, Cream, Led Zep, Queen, Rod Stewart - Wake up Maggy, Baker Street; those shiny PVC coats in every colour - matching platform sole boots; Farrar Fawcett hair - thank God for curling tongs, going to Turn Ups in Netheredge in off the shoulder cheesecloth tops and gathered skirts with lace hem; Mamas Italian Restaurant - discovered pizza,canaloni and more; shopping for dress fabric in the Sheaf Market and being spoilt for choice; those cassette cartridges - awesome invention; acrylic rib knit polo neck jumpers, patchwork leather bags, those silver ingots that we all wore around our neck.... gold if you could afford it....

Saturday afternoons in the Bucaneer - Led Zep, Cream, Queen, Rod Stewart - Wake up Maggie, Baker Street; plastic PVC coats in every colour and matching platform sole boots; shaggy hair dos; Slimcea Girl ads; Later on it was Farrar Fawcet hair - curling tongs a godsend; going to Turn Ups in off the shoulder cheesecloth top and frilly skirt; overcrowded dance floor to BeeGees 'Stayin Alive'; never even thought that Sheffield steel industry could disappear.

I remember my raleigh chopper bike, not everybodys taste in bikes but a true 70s icon :thumbsup:

My ultra violet Mk2- cost my dad £77 from Halfords...wish I'd hung onto it- the most fab bike in the world- the remake mk3 was rubbish in comparison

...loved it so much I'm trying to rebuild one now

The Nelson on Arundel Gate, Wapentake, Whetstone, The Albert, opposite the city hall to name but a few. Coffee bars, 'In & Out' where the old Winter Gardens are now, Disc Jockey Cafe on London Road. A corporation bus fleet we could be proud of. Ahhh, halogen days.

Halogen days?

I think you mean Halcyon days!

I remember when lodge moor had a hospital!!smack was something your mam did if you didnt behave!!crack was something to avoid stepping on!!speed was something you attained by going down lodge lane on an old pushbike with dodgy brakes!!when our steel industry was the envy of the world!!bus into town was 5p,also when all kids my age could wander about in relative safety!!!do you think things are better now??????no chance!!!!makes me proper mad!!:mad:

Archived