Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

Once again, Sheffield Council are stopping young hoodies having fun...

With all the holes and underpasses filled up, where are they going to find places to mug people?

Are you serious in your reply? Your comments I feel if that is your view you need an attitude adjustment

Are you that concerned that young Hoodies do not have any places to mug people because the subways have been closed I am so Gob Smacked with that statement:loopy: :confused:

Are you serious in your reply and your comments I feel if that is your view you need an attitude adjustment:loopy: :confused:

Unfortunately Sandie, the stark truth is that those underpasses were a haven for muggers.

As for an attitude problem, although I may eschew so-called "Political correctness", I don't have one!

Those buses were superb. We haven't seen them in Sheffield for many years but the last open-platform, back-loaders were withdrawn from regular service in London only last year. They were great for hopping on and off between stops. Needless to say, they don't conform to the 'elf 'n' safety standards laid down by the EU.

I lost count of the number of times I got it wrong.

I eventually got into the habit of reminding myself - out loud - that I needed to be facing forwards before leaping off, and my legs should be making a running motion prior to hitting the ground. Jumping off facing the rear at 10 mph was not wise. Even Roger Bannister couldn't do 10 mph in reverse.:(

With all the holes and underpasses filled up, where are they going to find places to mug people?

I see your irony :thumbsup:

Quite true - apart from being a godsend to muggers, subways were a waste of money in the first place, bearing in mind that the locations of some of them were so badly planned that hardly anybody used them. This is presumably why the council were unable to rent out the carefully-prepared retail units under Arundel gate, whereupon the graffiti artists moved in. The few people who used those particular subways in the mid-1970s could admire the creatively-designed graffiti, and while doing so get mugged.

Personally I rather liked the "hole in the road", especially the fish tank (until somebody put a sledgehammer through the glass) and the handy transport enquiry office where in the 1970s a comely ex-clippy called Marion dished out timetables, information and all the latest gossip. Working at the Midland Bank (now the "Banker's Draft") at the top end of the hole from 1970 to 1976, I got to know all the traders such as Leesons, Bunker and Pratley etc. The latter was the best place to get spare parts for your vaccuum cleaner, twin tub washing machine or Goblin Teasmade (the latter being another 1970s icon). There was also old Cyril, a well known city centre character of the 1970s. A former electrician at Firth Browns, Cyril Griffin lived on the streets - or more precisely, in the Hole in the Road. He would spend his day sitting on a bench at the north side of the hole, where the sun shone on him. Although he occasionally suffered from the attentions of gangs of yobs, most people were kind to poor old Cyril - I would occasionally give him a drink from Leeson's machine. Transport staff also used to share their sandwiches etc. with him. Sadly, he died of exposure one night in December 1976 and was found in the doorway of BHS in Haymarket.

Memories...

Rubbish adverts on telly, and the last days of the test card, Ian Drurie and the Blockheads, Wishbone Ash, Suzie Quattro, Blondie, not very many foreign cars on the roads, Austin Princess, Allegro, 1100, Alsations were still king of dogs, Heeley Bottom with proper shops, being scared of park keepers.

Loons, budgie jackets, platforms (on yer feet and on the buses). Once had to walk back from the Penthouse to Stannington in me platforms - probably why me back's wrecked now! Queing for your annual haircut at Tom's near Coles - scary place for a **** type. Berni Inns - height of sophistication. Selling petrol in the evening @ 3s 6d a gallon -owner was too tight to decimalise the pumps. Nibbetts washed down with Wards, Trophy and Stones. Cricket at the Lane before the Blunts ruined it. Youth clubs for ping pong and prog rock. Driving without mega congestion or speed cameras. 13-up in the back of me Moggie Minor van :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Archived