Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

Coming out of the pictures, buying fish & chips and eating them out of the newspapers they were wrapped in on the way home. For less than 10p you could catch a bus - you weren't supposed to eat fish & chips on buses (something about the smell, apparently) but I never knew anyone get thrown off for this misdemeanour. Bus conductors. Some of them ought to have had the first name Adolf but most were friendly souls. Where did they all go? Are they spending their dotage or semi-dotage on the trams (as elderly conductors or wistful passengers)? Paddle-boats in Hillsborough Park. School uniforms. Old Labour. Shops with staff who went and fetched what you wanted and put it down on the counter for you to look at. Shops where you could go to the back door after closing time for that important Rolo bar. Pikelet shops. Drink shops. Tripe shops. Coach trips with the S.U.T. Railway excursions - you could have a day trip to Scarborough or Blackpool by special train for a fiver or (for only a couple of quid more) get as far as the Welsh coast for a ride on the Talyllyn Railway, or to Plymouth, Bournemouth etc. And "Motorail" - you could put your car on a train at Sheffield, have a good night's sleep (hopefully) in a sleeper and wake up in time to reclaim your car at Inverness. Saved a long drive. Pollard's tea and coffee shop in Glossop Road, where the white-aproned Mr Pollard (aged about 102) would explain the finer points of the various blends.

i remember mi dad locking mi in mi room,fo' goin' ta schoil wit' skin 'ead, in mi dockers, braces & sherman shirt and a new tattoo, i was all of 14 yoa, must av looked a right sight.

after a couple of years as a "skin" i grew into a suade head, ben sherman shirt,braces ,two tone sta-press truosers, FLOURESENT socks, either a barathea jacket or crombie, with, loafer,broague or oxford shoes. pork pie hat and an umbrella to finish it all off

The old bus station (before it became the "Sheffield Interchange") in all its rundown glory...the nearby swimming baths with the ghastly Rolf Harris mural, where I used to take my young daughter to play in the children's pool (nicely warmed, oh yes I enjoyed that). Buying my first house in Sheffield, a semi in Crookesmoor for 2,500 pounds! Walking around the boarded-up houses in Blake St and beyond that were due to come down--you wouldn't believe the stuff that I found in deserted attics and cellars when I went on night-time raids!

The old bus station (before it became the "Sheffield Interchange") in all its rundown glory...the nearby swimming baths with the ghastly Rolf Harris mural, where I used to take my young daughter to play in the children's pool (nicely warmed, oh yes I enjoyed that). Buying my first house in Sheffield, a semi in Crookesmoor for 2,500 pounds! Walking around the boarded-up houses in Blake St and beyond that were due to come down--you wouldn't believe the stuff that I found in deserted attics and cellars when I went on night-time raids!

not very often some-one admits to being a burgler on sf :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Archived