Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

Mick3330

Oh, bubble cars... There weren't many around by the 1970s, but you would see them here and there in the 1960s, and probably a bit earlier. When hitch-hiking home from Cornwall in 1967 I had a lift in a Berkeley bubble car (I think it had two wheels at the front and one at the back) and it certainly wasn't new. There were also some Isetta and Messerschmitt bubble cars around, and I think there is actually a bubble car museum in Lincolnshire. Then there was the Fiat 500 which was bigger than a bubble car but smaller than a mini. There were plenty of those about in the 1970s.

bubble cars. what were they all about, was that the 70s? maybe it was the sixties, im old and loosin mi marbles, anybody remember them!!!!

:) i was told when i was a kid that the original bubble cars were german planes [the nose bit] converted to three wheelers [heinkels] the spoils of war.sounds about right dunnit,the yanks build apollo rockets & go to the moon & us brits build bubblecars-lol.

for some reason as a kid i always wanted one of those orange & black,three wheelers, bond bugs they were called,never got one or a go in one for that matter but i thought they were the dogs b*****ks

Talking of Bond Bugs!in 1974 when I was frequenting the Marquis of granby nightclub in Bamford there is a bad right hand bend on the A57 just before yorkshire bridge,one of those bugs had gone straight on at this bend and finished up at the bottom of a great slope!!!anyone else remember this??it was stuck down there a couple of weeks if memory serves me right!!of course these were the pre breath test days or less common anyway!!:)

This brings back memories. I never had a Bug but in 1972 I bought a Reliant 21E van, which finished up at the bottom of a slope near Bradfield after I somehow lost control (I hadn't touched a drop). I bought the van on a Monday and wrote it off on the Saturday. Thank goodness it was insured (cost me 400 quid secondhand from a shady little place down Attercliffe). I was thrown clear but had the misfortune to land in a blackberry bush. After this brush with three wheels I went back to two. Memories...

Archived