Millhouses baths

TAYLORWILKIN

I learned to swim in Millhouses open air baths, Oh! it must have been just before the war, I also swam in the pond which supplied the power for the Scythe grinding in Beauchief , my dad was a grinder there until about 1940. The baths were open after the war but I don't know if they still exist. There was also a pond with a large draught board beside it , the pieces were about 4-5 inches in diameter with a metal loop, the players had a pole with a hook to lift and move the men.

Yes. Not quite a 'baths' though??

When I was growing up they were all called "baths" as in Hathersage baths, Heeley baths, Millhouses baths, Blackpool baths etc..

We never (I think) said swimming pool.

An expression peculiar to that time I would imagine.

I'm guessing that the o.p. is nearing or at pension age. :thumbsup:

Im nowhere near pension age thank you very much, but i remember ... and called them millhouses bathes (lido) we spent just about every day up there in the summer holidays, if memory serves me well, it was 50p entrance for the whole day!

Oops, didn't intend to insult anyone.

If I inadvertently did so, please accept my apologies. :)

When I was growing up they were all called "baths" as in Hathersage baths, Heeley baths, Millhouses baths, Blackpool baths etc..

We never (I think) said swimming pool.

An expression peculiar to that time I would imagine.

I'm guessing that the o.p. is nearing or at pension age. :thumbsup:

Not quite an oap myself but grew up in the 60/70's we always called them the 'lido' which sounded quite glamorous and continental for Sheffield at that time.

I also used to go to Park baths on city road for swimming lessons. Now that was what I would call a baths as people could pay to take a bath there - if they had no facilities at home.

Oh how times have changed.

The 'lido' was great though and always packed and it always seemed hot. I still go to the park now and it seems so sad as it isn't a shadow of what it used to be.:(

Archived