Millhouses baths

TAYLORWILKIN

when I went it was a Lido,(posher than baths) not really my side of town that was about 66 or 67 when was it filled in

Millhouses lido was not filled in until at least the late 70's or maybe early 80's.

Just checked closed and filled with rubble in the early nineties.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go every weekend (50s). Always a wait in a long line to get in. Put your clothes in & on a wire basket/hanger. Certainly the highest dive board in sheffield. A width of the bath was as big (seemed to be) as the normal length bathing pools and last but not least it was always "B" cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We lived at the corner shop on Archer Road in the 1960s and I spent every Saturday afternoon and most holidays in Millhouses Park. We used to take our roller skates and hang on to the roundabout in the fenced off area, hurtling round and round until we were dizzy or until the 'parkie' yelled at us. In the summer we used to catch tiddlers from the river in jam jars. Then we'd go to the cafe by the boating lake and hire a boat, for 6d I think it was, if we had money - always hoping the man wouldn't notice your time was up and that you'd get a bit longer. Following that we used to buy either crisps (with the little blue twirl of salt) or rockets, jubblies or fabs. The paddling pool was always a great favourite and we spent hours there. Too bad health and safety stopped letting kids have memories like this!

Im in my 30's and it was always the lido in my era lol...It was great, i only lived a 10 min walk away if that on cawthorne grove, so spent alot of time there as a child, though i dont recall any diving boards..still i would have been to young to use them no doubt.... It was the best, i loved it there.

I remember Heeley Baths in the 60's, it was asbolutely freezing in the changing rooms even in the summer. The tiles around the pool had black mould on them. I remember distinctly the big square bath in the top left hand corner, it used to be full of old men with bars of soap having a wash. They used to have the water really hot so us 'young uns' couldn't stand it. The scum on the top of the water used to resemble an apple crumble. The off up to the Sarsparilla Shop at the side of the Abbeydale Cinema before the bus home. Never could stand Sarsparilla, don't know why I drank it really.

Archived