Millhouses baths

TAYLORWILKIN

Heeley baths, going from school at sharrow lane, we all walked there and back,

washed your feet in hot water in the corner baths, learn to swim, kiss underwater (with girls) dive off the board, probably my best memories of my dad and me learning to swim.

Sasparilla shop was great, felt like you were drinking something grown up, Even when your 7 it was great.

• 3 years later...

I remember millhouses open swim pool it had 2 dive boards a medium to small also had a high dive board do not no hieght of high dive board does. anyone out there know. change in cubicles the took basket to pool entrance and they gave a Colour band, When time up they called colour of band time was up.

The swimming pool at Millhouses park was built in the late 1920s & was converted into the lido in about 1970. The original pool was 110 yards by 30 yards. The lido was built in the shallow end of the pool & the rest was filled in. I always thought the lido was a disappointment as the water was just as cold as before & its dimensions were minuscule compared with original pool.

Archived