Gregory's Cake Shop on Abbeydale Road

helbco

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me if Gregory's Cake Shop still exists. It was the one thing I forgot to check out on my first trip back to Sheffield in 24 years (last year). The BEST ice tarts (like a cherry bakewell) and even better vanilla slices.. yum!

I don't know whether it was the same Gregorys you knew (depends how long it had been there for) but there is one listed in the 1959 Kelly's Directory as E. & H. Gregory bakers & confctnrs. at 224 Abbeydale Road. There is is now an Italian Delicatessen at 224-226 Abbeydale Road. So this maybe answers your question. :sad: (don't quote me on that though)

Deebles

Unless anyone knows if they moved elsewhere but can't see them listed in the Yellow Pages.

• 2 months later...

Hiya Helbco,

Gregory's had a bakery and shop in Chesterfield Road as well as the shop in Abbeydale Rd.

My mother worked for Mr & Mrs Gregory, and my sister and her husband lived above the Abbeydale Rd shop for some years. I can also remember my Mother, my Brother Terry and me staying in the Gregory's caravan for a week at Flambrough in the late 40's/early 50's.

Gregory's fruit pies were brilliant as well as the other stuff the made.

regards

neil memmott

oh well - sounds like we might now have the italian version of ice tarts and vanilla slices!!

On my visit back in 1982 my Aunt bought me a tray of 6 iced (Bakewell) tarts - I ate them all in one sitting !

I occasionally buy packets of Mr Kiplings but its just not the same!

Archived