Are the tramlines safe when its raining?

John

Are tramlines safe when its been raining?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Are tramlines safe when its been raining?

• Yes - No matter how you drive.
    • Yes - If you drive safely.
    • No.
    • I wouldn't know - I've never driven on tramlines in those conditions.

Does anyone know of any laws against driving on tram lines that are set in the road as they are in Sheffield.

Of course not, the question doesn't even really make any sense. Would it be a road any more if you weren't allowed to drive on it due to the tramlines...

There are portions of the tram lines that aren't on roads and where you can't drive.

It's almost a "Darwinian" event when cyclists get caught in the tracks. Surely they must know that their wheels fit snugly into the gape, Surely they know that when the tracks are wet they are slippery.........you'd think so wouldn't you!:huh:

I think most cycle accidents on the tram lines aren't caused by the tyre falling into the groove, but by the slipperiness of wet tracks (though, once the tyre has lost traction, it could easily end up falling into the groove).

Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a lottery whether you come off when they're wet- I've previously ridden over tramlines hundreds of times, taking care to always cross them at an acute angle, and never had a problem. Till 6 months back when I was on Langsett rd in the rain, and crossed a tramline just as carefully as I always had, and came off, ended up laying in the road.

Previously, I would happily ride down the center of the road and cross the tramlines to the left to let cars pass- no way would I do that now, as one poster has pointed out, a slip on the tramlines can result in death.

Then again, I now, where possible, avoid roads with tramlines on them when cycling, and, certainly when it's wet, I'd advise any cyclist to do the same. I feel sorry for anyone out-of-town who doesn't realises just how treacherous these things are, and, ends up cycling through Sheffield.

It's also worth mentioning to be extremely wary of cycling on roads with tramlines on them in the wet even if you stay to the left of them (which is not often practical anyway, as you can't do that where the tram stops are) as, having spoken to a few car/van drivers, it's obvious that cars/vans often can slip sideways a few inches when the lines are wet, which, clearly, would be bad news for any cyclist being passed by that vehicle.

I think the Council should employ a team of workers to go round and carve big hollows in the tram tracks every five yards or so to emulate potholes. While they're at it, weld some raised bits in to give tram passengers the thrill of speed-bumps. After all, they (Council) seem quite happy for the vast majority of road users (motorists, motorcyclists and cyclists) to put up with these appalling conditions. :roll:

quite simpler really.

Don't drive with your wheels on the tram tracks... they're only 2 inches or so wide, it's not hard to drive slightly more to the right to stay off them and then you're driving on any other bit of road.

If you're lookiong far enough ahead and planning your journey properly you shouldn't need to brake sharply anyway.

Cyclone, So why are they issuing fines with a photo of the car on the tracks and an accompanying letter stating the reason for the £30 fine 'Driving on tram tracks'. exactly my point its a road isnt it, we pay road tax dont we. we all keep away from them the best we can but inevitably we have to cross them at some stage. ?

Cyclone, So why are they issuing fines with a photo of the car on the tracks and an accompanying letter stating the reason for the £30 fine 'Driving on tram tracks'. exactly my point its a road isnt it, we pay road tax dont we. we all keep away from them the best we can but inevitably we have to cross them at some stage. ?

Err, where did this traffic incident take place?

Archived