Georgie woods barbers

brooksy

does anyone remember gw barbers on staniforth rd. in the 70s ilived on attercliffe and was often taken 4 a hair cut there. he had a chair 4 kids and it hac a hooter on it ithink, he also had sweets 4 kids and was a real character.

Apparently there was a barber on Penistone Rd called Barber Fred who had a plank and used to sit 3 or 4 kids on at once and a few minutes later there were 3 or 4 short back & sides. And the story goes that you could see your bus turn onto Penistone Rd then nip in, get your hair cut and be back out before it got to your stop. My gran lived over there and that's where we went.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

My parents used to have the fish and chip shop a few doors up Staniforth Road from Georgie Woods, the chip shop was known as "Two Steps". When he was a tot my son used to have his hair cut at Georgies.

george lived on swarcliffe rd just off staniforth after he retired he was still there in 2001 but dont know since hope it helps

George Wood used to run the sequence dances held at the old Darnall Board School on Darnall Road for a number of years, as well as a good barber he was a lovely dancer.

had many a haircut at geogie woods.he indeed had a one wheeled contraption he used to get round you when cutting hair

youd better not talk politics to him or they would be sparks coming off his scissors a real left winger was georgie

As a kid My mam took me to Toms, on Fairleigh. A plank of wood across the arms for little uns. If you fidgited, a sharp crack with his mechanical shears, you didnt do it again, mother unaware. Strangely, kept going till I left school.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived