Anns Grove Primary School

Talisman1138

The old school is in the hands of the council and despite many requests as to what is to become of the school nothing has been done. A petition was raised and passed but as always nothing has been done!

The old school is in the hands of the council and despite many requests as to what is to become of the school nothing has been done. A petition was raised and passed but as always nothing has been done!

Typical. You'd think they would at least board the windows up

Sorry, don't recognise this statement at all. What petition ? As the local councillor who has been working on this I can give you the actual facts.The Ann's Road School building will be auctioned. As this is a Grade 2 listed building, there will be strict conditions on the redevelopment. The proceeds from the sale will go into the schools budget for the rebuilding programme. However, £250,000 of this will go towards youth work in Heeley under the Heeley Vision for Youth programme which I pulled together last year.

If you look at the next edition of Heeley Voice, you will see an article by me explaining how local councillors lobbied to get money back into Heeley, specifically into the Ann's Road Youth Centre.

If there has ever been a petition, neither Heeley Development Trust nor local councillors have ever seen it. You may have seen the consultation document which I took round at last year's Heeley Festival, asking for local views on the future of the building. Nearly everyone voted for the building to be sold and money re-invested into the community, which is exactly what I am doing.

The building has been secured. Part of it is being used by Heeley Development Trust and you wouldn't want them to board up their windows would you ?

Thanks for the explanation, and I for one am placated by your plans. I did dread the building falling into disrepair, but now have hope.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your article when it it published.

PS The building would make a great recording studio!

Bushbaby. Thanks for a lovely post. It would be great if we could persuade any future developer to provide community facilities like a recording studio. We will be extending the Ann's Road Youth Club, but I don't think it would have the acoustics of the old school building. I will, however, drop a word in the ear of the other Directors of Heeley Development Trust if you think there's a need locally. Let me know.

The overall impression of the old school is not very nice and a concern of some of the parents is that the building will be made inot flats like so many of the old buildings are! More expensive unaffordable living quarters! Any News on the crossing? Ive not heard anything since was told may have to wait another year!

Archived