Weatherspoons V Hillsborough local pubs...

goldenfleece

The battle is soon set to commence...word reaches my ears (not sure about dates) that the new Weatherspoons will open in mid Spring this year, offering their usual cut price drinks at prices no other pub can ever hope to match.

Its happened in 100's of places where the chain has opened pubs in urban areas away from the city centres, and forced 100's of small locals out of business in a matter of months. The writing may well be on the wall for places like the Blue Ball, The bridge, legends, The Shaky, etc as no way on earth can they price match a Weatherspoons. The only pubs to survive the Weatherspoons encroachment are those who offer a completely alternative and 100% different product and offer, like we do being a rock and live music pub, next door to the dreaded Weatherspoons discount beer giant!

So what does anyone think will happen in Hillsborough once the new pub in the old Deep End opens its doors?

Word on the street was that they were going to have to have fairly tight security. This might put off the apparent hoards of underage and trouble making drinkers that always appear to populate Hillsborough, in which case the existing pubs may keep a chunk of their clientele and teh Deep End might get my business. As it stands there are only few pubs town centre or otherwise I would choose frequent (the Dove being top of the list, of course!!).

I think Weatherspoons play background music in the Bankers...sure I have heard some in there before......certainly not juke box or loud music and DJ's though....but with the size and space of the Deep End if they convert the WHOLE building, as only a small portion of it was used by Deep End, the skies the limit for different stuff in different areas....

and as for "bringing a bit of class" to the area, is this really true? The Bankers Draft for example attracts tramps, alcoholics, shop lifters and bag ladies....not exactly classy!!!

But the Weatherspoon's near John Lewis attracts a better class, it depends where the pub is, doesn't it. As there isn't much near the Bankers draft (no offence)

true the Bankers, and the front entrances in particular, are close to the market area...not the most salubrious part of town and no one could disagree with that!

Found out whilst at Rotherham beer festival that the manager who is opening the new Wetherspoons in Hillsborough is the one currently running their Blue Coats pub in Rotherham, which is the nice one of the two Rotherham 'Spoons.

He is hoping to get a lot of custom in for the food (usual Wetherspoons menu and promotions), but also wants a reputation for good beer - on the real ale side he is planning on having 34 handpumps on the bar!

Friday and Saturday nights he is planning on having DJs playing music, and once a month on a midweek night he plans to run a jazz club - he plays himself.

He also plans to have bouncers on the door all the time when the pub first opens, to put the message across that it is a nice pub and roughnecks looking for trouble are not welcome.

Of course being Wetherspoons the drink prices will be good value for money too.

Archived