Pirate Radio Stations:270,Caroline and Luxembourg

sandie

During the 60's in Sheffield we used to listen to these stations because the alternitive was the light program and the home service. It was always a topic of conversation at school. The reason for this post is I have just found a map as a teenager the stations I used to listen to I had an ex communications receiver ex mod bought from the ex army stors at West Bar. Who can remember 208 with Horace Bachelor and the word Keynsham

There was a pirate station that came on to the scene a bit later on called radio geronimo. it played all the 'underground' music. I remember sending off a postal order to an address in Harley st london hoping to get a T shirt with the stations name on. I never received the T shirt and not long afterwards the station went off the air but at the time, as you say, they were a lot more exciting than the beeb.

Hey that takes me back Horace Bachelor and his famous impladraw method.

Anyone know what he was on about?:loopy:

It was the "Horace Batchelor infra red draw method" for predicting the football results as a means to winning the football pools (Littlewooods, Vernons, Zetters etc.)

All an absolute load of b******s of course and if it was broadcast in this day and age then I have no doubt that good old Horace would rapidly become 'Batchelor Behind Bars', the thieving, swindling, God forsaken piece of s**t. :suspect::nono::gag:

Used to get radio Caroline in North Wales and radio London when living in Henley. Prior to the pirates, radio Luxembourg was the only place to go. Jack Jackson and Pete Murray used to host the Decca label broadcasts. Who used to host the HMV and Capitol shows I cant remember.There was another smaller label who had just 1 show a week and had just 1 or was it 2 stars who made it to the charts. Was it Oriole? Pye-Nixa had a show. I think Lonnie Donegan was with them.

Radio Caroline, began broadcasting at Easter 1964 from a ship anchored just outside UK territorial waters. Below are a some links to interesting sites.

There's a form of Caroline broadcasting today,a tribute site to em all and on the third link you can download sound files of the first show on Radio Caroline - Very First Weekend - Easter 1964 - Simon Dee - Christopher Moore

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/

http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/index.html

http://www.offshore-radio.de/sitemap.htm

Used to get radio Caroline in North Wales and radio London when living in Henley. Prior to the pirates, radio Luxembourg was the only place to go. Jack Jackson and Pete Murray used to host the Decca label broadcasts. Who used to host the HMV and Capitol shows I cant remember.There was another smaller label who had just 1 show a week and had just 1 or was it 2 stars who made it to the charts. Was it Oriole? Pye-Nixa had a show. I think Lonnie Donegan was with them.

Hi MikeG I also used to listen to Radio London, they used to call it the Big L.

From memory (and it is over 40 years ago and the memory starts to fade) Tony Blackburn and Ed Stewpot were the DJs and Stuart Henry who's catch frase was "My Friends" I am sure he also was with Radio London.

Good memories in those days life was so easy and we all got on with each other the only issues we had to deal with was arguments about music and our parents when we wanted to stay out after 11 O Clock.

Regards

It was the "Horace Batchelor infra red draw method" for predicting the football results as a means to winning the football pools (Littlewooods, Vernons, Zetters etc.)

All an absolute load of b******s of course and if it was broadcast in this day and age then I have no doubt that good old Horace would rapidly become 'Batchelor Behind Bars', the thieving, swindling, God forsaken piece of s**t. :suspect::nono::gag:

Yes I agree but how many people from the 60's can spell Kainsham

Regards

Archived