John Ritchie Dies

CHAIRBOY

Former Owls centre-forward, John Ritchie, died on Feb 23, aged 65. Ritchie joined Wednesday from Stoke City in 1966. He returned to Stoke in 1969 for £25,000.

sorry to hear about his death as i can recall he was a very good header of the ball not too clever on the floor

r i p

Yes, that's how I remember him, a barnstorming type of centre-forward in his heyday - he looked very stiff and awkward but Stoke had the best part of the deal (would you be surprised?) not only financially but with his goals. He had two spells at The Victoria ground and netted 176 goals in 343 appearances. For the Owls, a total of 45 goals in 106 appearances, which pro-rata, not too bad. Alas Ritchie had continued to live in the Potteries whilst at Sheffield 6 and became unsettled. Born in Kettering, Ritchie's career came to an end with a double fracture of a leg.

He had suffered poor health for several years and had been living in a nursing home prior to his sad death.

Yes, that's how I remember him, a barnstorming type of centre-forward in his heyday - he looked very stiff and awkward but Stoke had the best part of the deal (would you be surprised?) not only financially but with his goals. He had two spells at The Victoria ground and netted 176 goals in 343 appearances. For the Owls, a total of 45 goals in 106 appearances, which pro-rata, not too bad. Alas Ritchie had continued to live in the Potteries whilst at Sheffield 6 and became unsettled. Born in Kettering, Ritchie's career came to an end with a double fracture of a leg.

He had suffered poor health for several years and had been living in a nursing home prior to his sad death.

That's how I remember him also, especially a great header he scored against

Man Utd in 1968 in probably the greatest game I have seen at Hillsborough. When we won 5-4, with Law, Charlton, Best etc in their side in front of a 52,000 crowd.

That's how I remember him also, especially a great header he scored against

Man Utd in 1968 in probably the greatest game I have seen at Hillsborough. When we won 5-4, with Law, Charlton, Best etc in their side in front of a 52,000 crowd.

I was at that game, and as others have said JR was wonderful in the air, but a little lacking on the floor, but unlike some who have worn the blue and white since, "Big John" always gave 100%. R.I.P big fellow, and thanks for the memories.

I believe John died from Alzheimer's Disease and one wonders how much of a toll was taken with all that heading he did, especially with those soggy/heavy balls they used in the 60's. Can't remember if they were still the lace-up type of balls then, but whatever, he won't be the first player to have succumbed to this terrible illness.

I believe John died from Alzheimer's Disease and one wonders how much of a toll was taken with all that heading he did, especially with those soggy/heavy balls they used in the 60's. Can't remember if they were still the lace-up type of balls then, but whatever, he won't be the first player to have succumbed to this terrible illness.

Peter Swan is also suffering from Alzheimer's, and again he was known as a strong header of the ball, as did Jeff Astle the former WBA and England centre forward.

Too many for it to be a coincidence.

Archived