John Ritchie Dies

CHAIRBOY

John scored the winner , the last time Wednesday beat United at the Lane in 1968.

The score was 1-0.

Sure did, 2 Sept.'67 but 67/68 season in which he scored 18 goals in 41 appearances. The match he missed, the Owls lost 3-0 at Chelsea! What with rotation, they don't make 'em like John anymore - and, his Stoke performances were even more legendary.

Mostly from the Stoke angle, but poignant none the less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2007/02/23/john_ritchie_tribute_feature.shtml

I remember his (what I think was first goal at Hillsborough, without getting the reference books out) ; a bulletlike header at the Leppings Lane end, the third in the 6-1 win over Chelsea.

A great player and true gentleman of the game.

• 2 years later...
Former Owls centre-forward, John Ritchie, died on Feb 23, aged 65.** Ritchie joined Wednesday from Stoke City in 1966.* He returned to Stoke in 1969 for £25,000.

i was at old trafford when he made his debut,he didnt do much that day but i gradualy got to like him.

• 2 years later...
That's how I remember him also, especially a great header he scored against

Man Utd in 1968 in probably the greatest game I have seen at Hillsborough. When we won 5-4, with Law, Charlton, Best etc in their side in front of a 52,000 crowd.

This post was a long time ago, I know...but....am I right in thinking that John Ritchie scored FOUR goals for Wednesday that day against Man Utd?....or did someone else score 4?

Wasn't that Jack Witham

It was Jack Whitham, I was at the match and if I remember correctly it was three goals he scored.

It's a toss up whether it was three or four. Whitham and Stiles went for the same ball and both got there heads on it. Most papers gave it to Stiles.

What a fantastic match, it would have been memorable if it had been 0-0.

Archived