Leeds lad going to Sheffield - Wheres best to go out?

Micky

Hiya,

I'm starting at Sheff Uni this year and would like some advice on nights out in Sheffield.

What is the dress code? In Leeds people get in pretty much anywhere with some funky trainers, jeans and a nice t-shirt. Is this similar for Sheffield?

Where are the best bars - meaning not full of Chavs and not absolutely rammed - say if you were doing a bar tour of 6 or seven bars on a night?

Do they have late opening, say 2am weekend, 1am weekday?

Would you say you would ever have to queue to get into a bar?

Thanks, maybe I will see you out and about.

What is the dress code?

Normally jeans t-shirt and trainers will be fine , republic on a saturday you may struggle but i dunno.Banus is over 21's and kingdom was shirt&trousers but ive heard its more relaxed now.

Where are the best bars - meaning not full of Chavs and not absolutely rammed - say if you were doing a bar tour of 6 or seven bars on a night?

Division Street and West Street are where all the bars are , pubs darted around city centre plus where ever you'll be staying while at uni

Do they have late opening, say 2am weekend, 1am weekday?

Clubs open 2-3am plus a few bars are late un Takapuna ,forum and v bar

Would you say you would ever have to queue to get into a bar?

Ive never had to Q to get in a bar mate.If theyre is ,go to another bar id say.

Just for good measure ill tell you a fe of the clubs.

Republic - expensive but attracts the young crowd mainly students plays various music but mostly rnb or pop ,NUS discount

Leadmill - cheap ,plays disco-to indie attracts 18-40 year olds (my personal fav club) also cheaper entry for NUS

Corparation - the alternative club ,wednesdays are skool disco whioch you should try its cheap and very relaxed.

Kingdom - expensive but big club that plays dance or pop

Niche - i avoid this place cos A its got a very bad rep for drugs and trouble and B its dance club open til 8am and i dont like dance.

Zero - Has some good r n b nights and dance ,getting a fairly decent rep for Urban gorilla(i think its called that) but once again not my taste

Uropa - Re opening soon ive heard ,was just a tiny ****ty club when went in for the 1st and only time.

Banus - never been in

Casbah (spelling?) decent place resonably priced plays rock n roll type stuff but a few chavs have started going in

Also theyres both uni club/bars which are decent with hallam opening a bran new place this year

Sheffield is quite a bit different from Leeds & you'll find the bars a bit less "fashonable" - whether thats a good or bad thing depends on your taste!

From sounds of your post - top of Division st (Forum, Halcyon, Green bar, Lounge Bar & Revolution) would probably be best area for *bar* crawl (pubs are a differnt matter) - though they do get packed at weekends.. the further into town you venture - the chav-ier it becomes... or you could try Ecclesall Rd or Broomhill for the full-on student exprience...

BTW Zero stopped doing R&B nights quite some time ago & now has quite a varied selection of leftfield clubs nights - fri is Urban Gorrilla (Breaks & stuff) and Sat has revolving Hustle (House), Planet Zogg ( Tech-trance), Riddimption (Reggae) & Razor Stilleto (Electro).

Originally posted by Snakey_B

Uropa - Re opening soon ive heard ,was just a tiny ****ty club when went in for the 1st and only time.

Really? Do anyone hhave anymore infomation about this?

I just to have some rights nights in Uropa in my early partying years. It used to be a good little club then there was a change in managment and it attracted the wrong kind of people so it all went downhill from there.

Originally posted by buck

Best place to go out. Go over the Snake pass. It's called Manchester

Nothing like local advice from locals! and thats nothin like it! Do you mean Manchester Georgia?

If you are refering to our more soggy and slightly more violent neighbour then you are wrong. Sheffield has always had a better music scene. More cosy! more real! Better laugh!

Archived