Anyone in to CB radio in 1980s?

kirky

I was Tin Man. We used to meet at Millmoore Football ground.

Does anyone remember Western Star, a nice kid but a pain in the arse. Also Wizz Kid, I remember him covering the wall of his under stairs cubbyhole in cork tiles and nearly dieing from the fumes.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Alchemist, i was at Northern radio about 1980, was that before your time.

i started at NR around then i think, while it was still at the Northern General at least 2 yrs or so afore it moved to lodge moor

dave

I had a neighbour who had a cb & it interfered with my TV something chronic there were chevrons all over the TV.I had many an argument with him eventually he put up a 25 foot ariel & the council told him to take it down,end of trouble,but I have a new neighbour a few doors away who did the same thing except his ariel was 30 foot high 2 of them but the council told him to take them down.I believe he has fitted something in his loft but on my terrestrial TV I still get chevrons on the Digital its ok.Don't get me wrong a hobby is a good thing as long as it does not interfere with other peoples lives.

I did have one for a while, but never got into it really. I lived at Greenhill at the time and I used to get blasted out by an old guy called Ernest - cant remember his handle though.

CQDX? whats all that about?:loopy:

Originally posted by BILKO

I was Tin Man.

You have just reminded me, My first handle was Tin Lid.

I first had a CB when I was about 8. Two of the brothers had them and they set me up with their spare kit. Sat in the front room (Mum wouldn't let me put it in the bedroom in case I stayed up all night). Mobile rig connected to a car battery and a mag mount stuck on a Biscuit Tin, Hence the handle....

Wow .. takes me back a little I had a few handles first copper cloud and then angeldust I used to spend a lot of time at chris (concord) at wisewoods house there were loads of us.. there were also the eyeballs at dial house did anyone ever go to them?

havent used a c.b for about ten years now

Originally posted by alchemist

i started at NR around then i think, while it was still at the Northern General at least 2 yrs or so afore it moved to lodge moor

dave

The station at NGH was disused when I joined at Lodge Moor but it was still there.

I had a show with Mike Thompson and Bruce Fernell and we would go round hospitals at night interviewing the patients and recording them then editing it and putting it on our show.

Mike was a brilliant DJ, me and Bruce were just his hand rags really, but i did eventually get my own show,.

Gordon Harrison was the main man in charge and I remember Pete Kelsey who was the engineer.

Also remember an interview done by Bob Monkhouse who called into the studio to discuss his career with us.

Oooh, sorry should'nt go on about Northern radio, this is a thread about CB.

Regarding CBs does anyone remember the meetings at Gee Gees and Grimesthorpe club, and the nortorius wisperer.