NWOBHM and the Sheffield Bands

ZoSo

Hello Till Man,

Yes, I remember him wearing the plastic glasses and moustache and doing the groucho marks impressions when he was with Fixer.

I think you'll find that Def Leppard are still massive in the US. I also remember Leppard being the most hated of the Sheffield bands because of their 'standoffish attitude', but in retrospect it was more likely jealousy with them getting the huge deal with phonogram.

Hello Till Man,

Yes, I remember him wearing the plastic glasses and moustache and doing the groucho marks impressions when he was with Fixer.

I think you'll find that Def Leppard are still massive in the US. I also remember Leppard being the most hated of the Sheffield bands because of their 'standoffish attitude', but in retrospect it was more likely jealousy with them getting the huge deal with phonogram.

Yep, that's him, still doing it.

I don't remember Leppard being particularly hated. The general opinion seemed to be (as I remember) that Joe had a huge ego and not much singing ability, but the rest of the guys were ok. Pete (Willis) didn't really do their publicity much of a favour in his "I'm drunk and I can fight anyone because I may be a midget but I have a huge minder with me" phase, but I guess we are all older and wiser now.

Oh, and Panzer Division turned into the Lonely Hearts, I gather Glen is still playing.

Another one for this list is/was Nicky Harrison's band Valhalla. I know they morphed into Haalem and the Schaeffer but have no idea after that.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I remember Fixer. For part of '78, my mate Mick used to drum for them. I was supposedly their engineer. Rehearsal room was somewhere just off Bramall lane. Fella called Jim on bass and vocals, and yes, Steve on lead guitar. 'Bright and Rosy' was their most commercial offering, closely followed by 'Elephants' - anyone remember that? Was a heavy, but commercial number. 'Bright and Rosy' featured slide; was the only time I saw Steve play a Strat. Very much a Les Paul user.

• 4 months later...
Ah, does anyone remember Heritage then? My next door neighbour was in the band - a guitarist i think. has anyone got any of their music or know where i might get hold of it?

I remember them. Did you live off City Road by any chance?

Zoso (or anyone else) - I'm looking for anyone that was in (or knows someone that was in) Fallen Angel. Any clues?

PS: Had forgotten all about Groucho - memories eh!

Hi i remember Fallen Angel. i think one of the members was called Gary Night? he had a twin brother who was manager. I think they lived out woodhouse way.

• 3 years later...
I know who you mean Maxfacta. He once told me in the Wapentake he considered himself the 3rd best rock singer in the world. He did name 1st and 2nd but I can't remember who he said now, but he was deadly serious.

I do remember his name, and the band but all I'm prepared to say is his first name was Andy...Same Geezer??? Big egos were a big part the scene back then in this genre as were the outragous clothing. This was the early 80's don't forget and I remember the 'new romantics' and the 'electronica crews' wearing equally disturbing attire and big hairstyles. Do you remember the NWOBHM local fanzine 'Skullcrusher' compiled by a singer in another band called Gary?...nice bloke he was. He was later in (a short lived?) project with Baz, the guitarist from Geddes Axe and Baby Tuckoo called Swampwalk...an hybrid band combining new metal and punk.

I worked for an independant record label in the Midlands in the late 80's/early 90's and tried to get Swampwalk signed, but failed unfortunately. What a great band and what a nice bunch of blokes. Great memories