Bridesmaids dresses

• 1 month later...

Thought this might be of interest to this group - a website called style shake, where you can design dresses, skirts and tops, you can choose your fabric, colour, style of the neckline, sleeves and skirt as well as any embellishment like belts, bows or stones around the neckline. a silk dress is only £55 and they can be made in 10 days, either to a standard shop fitting or you can send over your exact measurements!

enjoy!

I am having 4 bridesmaids dresses and had budgeted £250 per dress because I thought I wanted real bridesmaid dresses from bridal shops etc.

After quite a bit of looking, I actually found evening dresses in Monsoon. Emerald green silk (to match my engagement ring). I asked all 4 girls to go an try them on in their hometowns (they are spread out over the country), they all loved them and I have bought them on-line. £60 each!

PLUS... they all said they would wear them again as they are so lovely.

• 1 month later...
I am having 4 bridesmaids dresses and had budgeted £250 per dress because I thought I wanted real bridesmaid dresses from bridal shops etc.

After quite a bit of looking, I actually found evening dresses in Monsoon. Emerald green silk (to match my engagement ring). I asked all 4 girls to go an try them on in their hometowns (they are spread out over the country), they all loved them and I have bought them on-line. £60 each!

PLUS... they all said they would wear them again as they are so lovely.

I'm doing this - going for little black dresses that they can all wear again (and actually want to wear!), and found French Connection, Monsoon, Coast etc all have sales on from xmas stock.....ASOS is also a good source, they do a lot of designer and high street stuff for cheaper.

Just wanted to share a note of caution with any of you considering buying dresses from abroad over the internet:

I did this for my dresses and saved a fortune on the price tag (about 40%); however I wasn't expecting the enormous customs charges I was hit with: for a total shipment worth just over £200, I was charged an extra £75!

£37 VAT (which I was half expecting so not too bad)

£27 Import Duties

£8 Handling fee (parcelforce).

I'm not saying don't do it, but please factor this into your calculations so it doesn't end up being a false economy for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just orderd Desy Bridesmaid Dresses from America, even with the customs charges they were still alot cheaper than those i had seen over here!

Worked out at around £150 each, the cheapest price i found in UK was £190 each.

But very rite to check it out first as some of the dresses i looked at didnt work out cheaper at all. :)

Archived